flgardenman

My 3 week old tomato plants

Thought maybe some of you might like to see my tomato plants I have growing at this time.

[img][url=https://img692.imageshack.us/I/tomatoes3weeksold.jpg/][img]https://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9018/tomatoes3weeksold.th.jpg[/img][/url][/img]
Last edited by flgardenman on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

vermontkingdom

You are fortunate to live in place where vegetable gardening can start so early. In Vermont, we are months away from being able to do anything but dream.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good looking plants! Keep them going! Anything green this time a year is nice to see! Happy gardening!

Regards,
D

flgardenman

vermontkingdom wrote:You are fortunate to live in place where vegetable gardening can start so early. In Vermont, we are months away from being able to do anything but dream.
I have lived here for 23 years. I originally came from Illinois just south of Chicago so I can appreciate what your saying about your weather. Hope you have an early spring and a wonderful 2010 gardening season.

flgardenman

Duh_Vinci wrote:Good looking plants! Keep them going! Anything green this time a year is nice to see! Happy gardening!

Regards,
D
Thank you and, glad I could show you a little green this time of the year. Hope you have a great gardening season.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice, but you will need to keep turning the pots so the plants don't lean in to the center too much.

JulieTAdolf

I'm also from outside Chicago originally, with many friends still there--and I just love the fact that I can be growing now. My poor Chicago friends are still battling brutal winter weather--although we in SC have had a nasty chilly/icy spell for the past month. Your plants look lovely! Enjoy!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

They look great.

I still have a few weeks before my seeds go in the dirt. I'm trying not to lose my patience and start them too early.

Good luck with your garden.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I need me a new light, otherwise I'd have my tomatos going as well. It's bad enough a freeze came in and killed my basil :(

Murphbersch
Newly Registered

looks like you are using plant lights. Are these necessary/ do u find them helpful?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, necessary. You can't really grow plants from seeds without supplemental lighting. Especially starting things early in the year (like now), the days are short and where I am, mostly gray. Sitting a tray of seedlings on a window sill just doesn't make it (besides window sills are pretty cold). Trying to grow seedlings without supplemental light if you get anything, you get plants that are very "leggy," spindly and stretched out and thin.

It doesn't have to be fancy grow lights. Any fluorescent light that you can have just a few inches above the plant (raising it as the plant grows) will do fine. Does have to be fluorescent - regular (incandescent) bulbs give off too much heat, will burn your plants up, or you will have to have it so far away that the plants won't get enough light. Leave the lights on 16 hrs a day!

alisios

I must give you kudos on the tidiness of your display area!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My area is not nearly as tidy, and supplemental light is marginal.

This first batch of plants was started in December. It has been too cold to place them outside during the day, so the plants are not as green nor as stocky as the ones last year. These do have blossoms forming, but really, really need some direct sunlight.

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2801/4346562076_b6e35d86df.jpg[/img]

This group is smaller than the plants of the first photo, yet are much older. These were pulled from the fall garden in November and were moved to overwinter in the greenhouse. Once again, they need more light and I am quite eager to get them outside during sunny warm days, when those days finally come.

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4345820487_ccd1dfaf52.jpg[/img]

This last batch was planted in late January and have just been transplanted from small community pots.

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4345819859_09bc3c56c2.jpg[/img]

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”