peaches
Newly Registered

Help I Got Bugs (LoL)

As some of you know I'm a first timmer, I am growing tomatoes (better boy) Egg plant & peppers.

I was noticing that the leafs on my plants are getting holes in them and then I saw bugs and ants today ... Now a friend of mine recommended fungicide 3 I sprayed it on a few weeks ago and there still here

Please help ...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well first of all a fungicide will kill fungi and not insects but, we don't recommend using either here as they actually to more harm than benefit.

Most of the fungi living on the leaves and in the soil in and around you plants are actually beneficial and detur herbivory by insects and microbes. The same goes for most insects in the garden and therefore, pesticides also do more harm than damage.

It is best to find out who or what is eating your plants, Ants generally are beneficial to plants (except leaf cutters who can take down a whole tree in a day :roll: ) as they will kill any other insect that comes near their plant.

What I do to detur insect herbivory in my garden (and I have almost none but, a little is fine as far as I'm concerned) is plant plants that attract beneficial insects that will eat insects that eat my plants. I also emply companion planting such that plants grow with plants that aid eachother in growth and development. Furthermore, I build the soil up with compost and other soil ammendments so that the plants can be as healthy as possible and be able to suppress insect herbivory themselves.

Right now in your case, I would spray the tree with some Neem Oil that you can also get in a soap solution from local nurseries. But, I wouldn't totally rely on Neem Oil to solve your problem.

Also, planting plants as monocultures encourages insect herbivory so, if you emply companion planting and mix up your plants, insects who prefer a particular plant won't get out of control.

peaches
Newly Registered

This Is what I have, tomatoes eggplants banna peppers bell peppers

in that order I started all except the tomatoes from seed so everything is still small except the tomatoe plants ...

What do you recomend to plant in with them so the bugs can eat those
and I'll try the neem oil I heard A mix of liquid soap and water in a spray bottle would work ... any truth ?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at the beneficial insects thread in the organic forum, if memory serves, it had plants that will attract beneficial insects.

But, generally speaking I would say flowers that have a high nectar content. I plant Nemophilia (baby blue eyes), marigolds (which actually draw the bad guys away from your plants and to them), Sunflowers are great for attracting birds that will eat the bad guys, Prim roses are good, Heather actually works well but, I can't remember what it attracts. Ummm, (just trying to remember what I have in my garden) foxgloves are good.

Though there are complete lists in the organic forum.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”