Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

First seeds for 2010 - planted!

I promised myself, first weekend of February for the earliest varieties.

Well, when one is looking at the window, and snow is plastering the ground for the past 8 hours, what does one do?

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatoesearlies0130/776790308_VJ4NS-L.jpg[/img]

Plant tomato seeds! Only the "early" and "very early" varieties for now:

Fruhe Liebe
Jaune Flamme
Early Wonder Pink
Noir De Crimee
Lambada
Kalinka
Taxi
Burtzyn
Stupice
Pipo
Kimberly

And the last of my pepper varieties, shared by a fellow gardener (very excited to have them), Italian origin:

Corno di Toro
Corno di Capra

So, providing that the weather behaves, I will have seeds of many interesting varieties to share for 2011

As for now - in the dark shelf of the room, under the heat mat, with the temperature ranging at 82-83F, the new life begins!

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!!

I haven't planted any tomato seeds, being in a colder climate than you. But I did just plant green pepper seeds yesterday! Probably rushing the season a bit on them too, but couldn't resist.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good for you Rainbow!

I think we know the "couldn't resist" so well :lol: Besides, nothing warms the winter like a bright green sprout of your seedling! Amazing how something so dull and dry as the seed becomes a plant full of life!

Regards,
D

P.S. I know Dono is not far behind, right? And Alex is way ahead of the curve 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm jealous DV toms and peppers already I know it's too early for me but.....Who knows I may just do something crazy, yeah right me=crazy no way. :lol: I have onions and radishes and some lettuce, and .....wait for it...... one tomato that I planted in December.

Rainbow you have peppers going as well. I saw DV's post and started thinking "Oh no I forgot" I thought it was this weekend on my calender but I have it written down for March 15 which allows me 6 weeks till the first of May. I have read that you could wait 2 weeks after the last frost that is my scheduled planting date (May 15) giving me an 6-8 week indoor growing period. Though everything can change if the weather is good. Am I waiting to long what do you two think.

applestar
Mod

Ha! I'm not one of the two, but... :> ... from my experience last year, I would allow at least 8 weeks growing time. Harden them off well before planting, don't rush it, and provide plenty of protection in the beginning. Peppers seem to sulk and stop growing when temps are below 60º.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

LOL Apple, I didn't see it coming from you - rushing things up? Really? :>

Last year I gave my tomatoes 6-8 weeks, so this year, I decided to give them about 10 (at least to the ones I've listed). The rest of them, would not start for couple more weeks. And some will start in April and May (just a few varieties as a backup), in case the blight or something else hits us.

I actually planted few last year as late as July (Yellow Stuffer, 2nd Campari and an unknown volunteer), all grew just fine, and harvested tomatoes from all till frost.

As for peppers - you are absolutely right. Once hardened off, and the weather stays in the 60's, they don't seem to do much. That is why I wanted to have my pepper seedlings of large size prior to planting.

Regards,
D

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

This is first for me...

I've had some fresh seeds in the tests germinate in 3.5-4 days, but this is a pleasant surprise... Seeded on 01/30/2010, and to my amazement - first seedlings are poking through today, 02/01/2010 :eek:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesupearlywonder/778966828_mVGtk-M.jpg[/img]

A seeds for variety very "Early Wonder Pink", sent to me by a very sweet lady from Germany. Should be dark pink, 3' tall plants with 3-6oz dark pink fruit and said to be on the sweet side (which I like). Very exciting start for me! Likely to go into container on the deck...

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

Awww, aren't they cuuute? :() What are those reddish particles in your soil -- coir, peat?

BTW, totally OT, but yesterday, as I was watching TV, I saw two blurbs about upcoming shows, "Da Vinci Code" and "Pink Da Vinci" (this was an old Pink Panther cartoon) -- Well, after daily visual dose of "Duh_Vinci," that other spelling looked wrong somehow and I couldn't shake the feeling! :roll: :shock: :lol:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

LOL Apple - you crack me up! :lol: There can be only one! And Duhhhhhh it is :wink:

That is what Espoma Organic Seed Starting mix looks like upclose, peat mostly, with added worm casting.

I'm was happy to see that the all but 2 varieties have sprouted yesterday. 3 days from seeding! But the other two were older seeds, so it may take few more days...

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup020320102/780035663_6r3RK-XL.jpg[/img]

Noir De Crimee "droplet" - trying shake off the shell:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup02032010/780035647_wLRLH-L.jpg[/img]

All removed from the domes (but the last two), and under the grow lights now... Love to watch them grow!

Regards,
D

JulieTAdolf

What lovely little seedlings! I don't know about you...but I have serious parental pride when my babies start growing! :-) Fabulous photo!

Earl K
Green Thumb

I have actually had to look it up to see the proper spelling of D_V,due to seeing his version.JulieT he is known around here for his great pics.D, I managed to save and get to ripen 2 of those campari-still interested in some seeds?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted my first tomato seeds today. It's still a bit early for me, but these are a variety I have never tried before called Ultimate Opener hybrid. Supposed to be more cold hardy than most, ripen up as quick as Early Girl (which I always grow), but be 1/3 larger and more flavorful than the EG.
We shall see.

Anyway since hopefully it can go out a little earlier, I'm giving it a little earlier start.

(Course one year recently, I tried one called Siberian something that was supposed to be super cold hardy. Got carried away with it and they all got killed in a late frost! )

flgardenman

Duh_Vinci wrote:I promised myself, first weekend of February for the earliest varieties.

Well, when one is looking at the window, and snow is plastering the ground for the past 8 hours, what does one do?

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatoesearlies0130/776790308_VJ4NS-L.jpg[/img]

Plant tomato seeds! Only the "early" and "very early" varieties for now:

Fruhe Liebe
Jaune Flamme
Early Wonder Pink
Noir De Crimee
Lambada
Kalinka
Taxi
Burtzyn
Stupice
Pipo
Kimberly

And the last of my pepper varieties, shared by a fellow gardener (very excited to have them), Italian origin:

Corno di Toro
Corno di Capra

So, providing that the weather behaves, I will have seeds of many interesting varieties to share for 2011

As for now - in the dark shelf of the room, under the heat mat, with the temperature ranging at 82-83F, the new life begins!

Regards,
D
Same here my friend. I have 16 seedlings 3 weeks old under the lights now.

10 Heatwave ll
2 Better Boy
2 Red Lightning
1 Kellogg Breakfast
1 Cherokee Purple[/color]

Love this time of the year watching the seedling grow.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Julie - thank you!

Earl - YES!!! I would love few seeds! I still can't believe that I didn't save any from two plants (I know, shame on me) - I'll PM you with the address...

Rainbow - contrats, exciting, isn't it? I've heard of Ultimate Opener, and wanted to try it this year, but having too many varieties already - I had to stop somewhere... Please, let us know how these do for you!

flgarden - your season starts way before ours, good looking seedlings, saw a picture in the other thread! Trying Kellog's Breakfast this year for the first time too, sounds promising! We'll compare notes later in the season!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You guy's better knock it off, your making me want to plant a few tom seeds just for the heck of it. Too early for me but I have way more seed than I need.

Earl K
Green Thumb

D_V,I still have your address from your prior shipment of seeds,actually have 4 Spiridinovski toms. red and ready on the vine(only ones to survive our freeze down here)I am about to plant my next go around,just tryin to figure my tomato varieties.I already have quite a few strawberries coming along.Will send some seeds as soon as I cut that ba by open.will keep you posted. Gixxxxxxxxxxx.I am gonna do especially good this time so hopefully you and your fam. can come get some fresh veggies when you are in sunny Fl. in June.Would like to actually meet a gardener friend.Keep me posted brotha

flgardenman

Nothing lifts the spirits more than planting those first seeds and watching them grow while waiting for that perfect time to plant them in the garden.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Earl K wrote:D_V,I still have your address from your prior shipment of seeds,actually have 4 Spiridinovski toms. red and ready on the vine(only ones to survive our freeze down here)I am about to plant my next go around,just tryin to figure my tomato varieties.I already have quite a few strawberries coming along.Will send some seeds as soon as I cut that ba by open.will keep you posted. Gixxxxxxxxxxx.I am gonna do especially good this time so hopefully you and your fam. can come get some fresh veggies when you are in sunny Fl. in June.Would like to actually meet a gardener friend.Keep me posted brotha
I will keep you posted not sure where we are going exactly yet but if we are in your area I will hit you up. Do you have any pics of the Spiridonovski. I have some of those seeds (from you via D_V) just wondering what they are like.

JulieTAdolf

@Duh Vinci--WOW! I just snooped at your photo album, and it is fabulous! Are you a professional photographer? I used to work at an ad agency and bought lots of photos--your images are stunning!

I was going post some photos of my many babies that are growing downstairs--only a few thousand right now, with more to be started tomorrow! However--I think I'll leave the photos to you--mine never turn out the way I anticipate.

Thanks for sharing, and look forward to the next batch of images!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Earl - please, do let us know how they do, and how they taste! And pics! I've yet to grow them out :wink:

Julie - thank you for the kind words! No pro by any means, just a long time hobby. 1000's - got you hands full, aren't you? And please, do post the photos!

This winter is nothing like I've ever seen in the past 20 years in VA!

No pictures today, but happy to say that all varieties are germinated! And more importantly - saved them from the freeze! We had no power for almost 3 days, and still, unable to get out of the house as of yet...

Feb 20th - the rest of tomatoes will be seeded, can't wait, and still, don't have the final grow-out list yet...

Keep us up with the updates on your seedlings!!!

Regards,
D

MC Mixin Bricks

I found nine seeds that I had salvaged found a cutting board last year. put them in four of those little clay pots. I don't even remember what they are.
We lost all our tomato plants last year in the 2009 blght. I did get some "volunteers" later in the compost pile but it was too late for them to produce anything.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ohh, I hear you!

Blight on the East Coast last year was indeed a troublesome! Many crops were killed! We were lucky, somewhat isolated area, so only one plant lost to the early blight... Hoping that with all this freeze and snow (never ending it seems) it would be a better year for all!

All of the seedlings seems to be doing well, green little boys and girls seems to show their first signs of True leafs!

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup02082010/784848951_UtjR9-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup020820102/784849013_sDML4-XL.jpg[/img]

Less than two weeks to start the rest (though I may go ahead, and start the basket tomatoes this coming weekend, will see...

Regards,
D

joshbuchan

great stuff! they look so helthy, I also have been panting :D I planted some white habs, orange habs, red habs, jalapeno and some big banana pappers in my propergater :D I cant wait to c if they grow! 1 qeation do u have your light on before they pop up or do u turn it on when they pop up? I got a compast plrestent bolb in a metle reflecter sheild thing.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Got to love to see your seedlings grow! No Josh, no light until they pop up. I've read up on few studies on the affect of tomato germination, and light was inhibitor. So in the propagator/germination dome the sit at 82-83F (27-28C) the sit until they sprout, then, immediately under the grow light, 2-3" from the light source (T8 bulbs)

Good luck with your garden this year! Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Regards,
D

wolfie

Hey D, what part of Virginia you in? I am south of Richmond and the snow is killin us!!

I just planted about 144 seeds tonight, various items... my first time starting this early, they are in the living room now, will let u all know when they start to sprout!!

I still need to order my tom seeds, will get those asap!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always say I don't plant tomatoes until Valentine's Day, but I had time on my hands this AM and couldn't resist. So I hereby declare TODAY is Valentine's Day! :)

The Early Girl and Big Beef tomato seeds are planted!

(given how much snow is still on the ground and what our weather forecast looks like, this is either gutsy or stupid! :) )

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I always say I don't plant tomatoes until Valentine's Day, but I had time on my hands this AM and couldn't resist. So I hereby declare TODAY is Valentine's Day! :)

The Early Girl and Big Beef tomato seeds are planted!

(given how much snow is still on the ground and what our weather forecast looks like, this is either gutsy or stupid! :) )
Gutsy is good RG you are in Ohio I have relatives there and know you will be colder later than me. What is the frost date you are aiming for? I have my toms scheduled for Mar 1 (indoors). Just wondering If I'm waiting too long. they are all heirlooms and I don't think any of them are especially early producers. I'm planning on around May 1 planting though this will be a month or more later than usual though I know I always put them out too early. I know all about counting back from frost that is how I came up with those dates. But sometimes you gotta fly by the seat of your pants and throw out common logic.

Thanks
Dono :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

50% last frost date around here is April 15, so that's what I'm aiming for. But of course that means sometimes the last frost actually comes early than April 15. Depending on what the weather forecast is looking like, I often put my tomatoes out a little earlier than that. I put hot caps over them and cover that if it looks like getting too chilly. I think this year I'm going to do the plastic over hoops, even before I plant the tomatoes, work on warming the soil up more.

All in search of those June tomatoes! :)

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan!

Another Virginian! I'm in the Locust Grove, between Orange and Culpeper, just west of Frederickbsburg... Yep, get those seeds, spring is coming, I can smell it (I think)! What varieties are you growing this year?

Rainbow - LOL, if the spring does not come to you, you make the spring seem closer, and planting those seeds is just the ticket! So with that in mind - happy Valentine's day!!! :wink:

While I made up the calendar, and next seeds should have been planted next weekend - couldn't sleep yesterday evening... I'm weak, I couldn't resist, so planted my basket varieties seeds last night.

Last year I grew many Tumbling Toms (yellow and red), but this year, a friend from Germany sent me some seeds to try, her favorite basket varieties she grows, so I'm very very excited to try these. All in under the dome, "sweating" a little at 82F, ten 12" baskets, so 2 plants of each:

Balcony Yellow
Garden Pearl
Rose Himbeer
Pendulina Orange
Whipper-Snapper

Happy seeding and growing to all!!!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:50% last frost date around here is April 15, so that's what I'm aiming for. But of course that means sometimes the last frost actually comes early than April 15. Depending on what the weather forecast is looking like, I often put my tomatoes out a little earlier than that. I put hot caps over them and cover that if it looks like getting too chilly. I think this year I'm going to do the plastic over hoops, even before I plant the tomatoes, work on warming the soil up more.

All in search of those June tomatoes! :)
Alright fine than! :P My 50% - 32* is Apr 11. So I guess I will be planting too. It will be roughly 2 weeks earlier than planned but I was going to plant some more 2 weeks after the first planting for insurance so than my friends and neighbors will get what I don't need. I will still be kinda on track. To tell you the truth I don't think I could have held out that long anyways. :lol:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:... To tell you the truth I don't think I could have held out that long anyways. :lol:
Dono - I knew you couldn't wait till the end!!! And how can you, really - you have all the seeds, all the supplies to for seedlings - :clap:

Regards,
D

P.S. Planting cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower seeds tomorrow!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There is still snow on the ground but what the hey. To tell you the truth I normally planted, not really sure probably, in March some time, it was always early and people thought I was nuts but I always had plenty to give away. To borrow from the Ghostbusters "I aint afraid of no frost"

:lol:

I think I will have myself a race an plant some in the pellets and in pots with my homemade mix to see who wins.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Then let the race begin, Dono! Be sure to post your observations!

Transplanted all of my "earlies" last night:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup021320102/788232478_bJZNW-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup021320101/788232539_dEfu8-XL.jpg[/img]

No one seems to be in "transplant shock" as of this morning, so that makes me happy!

Regards,
D

wolfie

I am still waiting on seeing the first spout of the 144 pellets I planted Wed night... I am wondering if it's too cold in my house hmmmmmmmm

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan,

Temperature could indeed play a part in germination time, but also, variety and the age of the seeds as well. I find that 82F-83F works well for me, with the average germination time of 3-5 days...

At an average "room" temperature, seeds could take up to 2 weeks to germinate, but usually with in 7-10 days, so nothing to worry about!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

D_V

Oh I will be sure to keep you informed. I have quite a few seeds of yours so they better germinate or ............................................................I will tank you anyways and hope the rest do. :lol:

I don't have a thermometer that goes low enough to check the temp. I also don't have a heating mat, but I am using a heating pad for sore backs. Thing is with that it has a two hour auto-shutoff. :x At least I get to check on them quite a bit. I got the pad on warm it has 4 settings low, warm, med, hot. It feels about right not too hot and not too cold.

How deep do YOU plant your seeds? I have them just at to just barely below the surface. I also have them upstairs where it is a little warmer. Though I did get my one lonely tomato to sprout and actually grow pretty good with no heat in the cold basement in Dec to now. So........Anxiously awaiting the birth here will update as needed. I planted them late Fri night.

Dono

p.s. about the auto-shutoff obviously I'm not going to get up every 2 hours at night to restart the heating pad. Do you guy's think being warm than not so warm than warm again will hurt them in anyway? Like maybe screw up their "Thinking" and die off.

wolfie

Well, its no where near 80 degrees in here LOL maybe about 60 during the day, and possibly 40 at night. I am keeping them in my living room which is the warmest room tho. I do remember them taking about 7-10 days on the package to germinate. the other thing I planted em pretty deep, so that might be an issue as well. I read somewhere about the deeper planting being better, I thought? hmmmm

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

That temperature drop - last year, I did sprout many seeds on the top of the shelf under which, the grow light was attached. So the temperature drop at night with the light off was about 10F or so, and no issues, so, I'm thinking it would be OK?

Depth - for tomatoes and peppers, about 1/4" deep. To keep it consistent, I made a little "tool":

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/788351887_Rp3z7-XL.jpg[/img]

Soda cap and a pen, pressure fitted - inserted into a small hole made in the center of the cap. This way all the seeds I plant go into the dame depth.

Regards,
D

wolfie

rockin tool D!!!

I think mine may be a little deeper, do u think that will be a problem? or just take longer to sprout?

MC Mixin Bricks

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/MC_Mixin_Bricks/Picture29.jpg[/img][/img]
[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/MC_Mixin_Bricks/Picture32-1.jpg[/img]
Last edited by MC Mixin Bricks on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”