Earl K
Green Thumb

D_V,I still have your address from your prior shipment of seeds,actually have 4 Spiridinovski toms. red and ready on the vine(only ones to survive our freeze down here)I am about to plant my next go around,just tryin to figure my tomato varieties.I already have quite a few strawberries coming along.Will send some seeds as soon as I cut that ba by open.will keep you posted. Gixxxxxxxxxxx.I am gonna do especially good this time so hopefully you and your fam. can come get some fresh veggies when you are in sunny Fl. in June.Would like to actually meet a gardener friend.Keep me posted brotha

flgardenman

Nothing lifts the spirits more than planting those first seeds and watching them grow while waiting for that perfect time to plant them in the garden.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Earl K wrote:D_V,I still have your address from your prior shipment of seeds,actually have 4 Spiridinovski toms. red and ready on the vine(only ones to survive our freeze down here)I am about to plant my next go around,just tryin to figure my tomato varieties.I already have quite a few strawberries coming along.Will send some seeds as soon as I cut that ba by open.will keep you posted. Gixxxxxxxxxxx.I am gonna do especially good this time so hopefully you and your fam. can come get some fresh veggies when you are in sunny Fl. in June.Would like to actually meet a gardener friend.Keep me posted brotha
I will keep you posted not sure where we are going exactly yet but if we are in your area I will hit you up. Do you have any pics of the Spiridonovski. I have some of those seeds (from you via D_V) just wondering what they are like.

JulieTAdolf

@Duh Vinci--WOW! I just snooped at your photo album, and it is fabulous! Are you a professional photographer? I used to work at an ad agency and bought lots of photos--your images are stunning!

I was going post some photos of my many babies that are growing downstairs--only a few thousand right now, with more to be started tomorrow! However--I think I'll leave the photos to you--mine never turn out the way I anticipate.

Thanks for sharing, and look forward to the next batch of images!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Earl - please, do let us know how they do, and how they taste! And pics! I've yet to grow them out :wink:

Julie - thank you for the kind words! No pro by any means, just a long time hobby. 1000's - got you hands full, aren't you? And please, do post the photos!

This winter is nothing like I've ever seen in the past 20 years in VA!

No pictures today, but happy to say that all varieties are germinated! And more importantly - saved them from the freeze! We had no power for almost 3 days, and still, unable to get out of the house as of yet...

Feb 20th - the rest of tomatoes will be seeded, can't wait, and still, don't have the final grow-out list yet...

Keep us up with the updates on your seedlings!!!

Regards,
D

MC Mixin Bricks

I found nine seeds that I had salvaged found a cutting board last year. put them in four of those little clay pots. I don't even remember what they are.
We lost all our tomato plants last year in the 2009 blght. I did get some "volunteers" later in the compost pile but it was too late for them to produce anything.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Ohh, I hear you!

Blight on the East Coast last year was indeed a troublesome! Many crops were killed! We were lucky, somewhat isolated area, so only one plant lost to the early blight... Hoping that with all this freeze and snow (never ending it seems) it would be a better year for all!

All of the seedlings seems to be doing well, green little boys and girls seems to show their first signs of True leafs!

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup02082010/784848951_UtjR9-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup020820102/784849013_sDML4-XL.jpg[/img]

Less than two weeks to start the rest (though I may go ahead, and start the basket tomatoes this coming weekend, will see...

Regards,
D

joshbuchan

great stuff! they look so helthy, I also have been panting :D I planted some white habs, orange habs, red habs, jalapeno and some big banana pappers in my propergater :D I cant wait to c if they grow! 1 qeation do u have your light on before they pop up or do u turn it on when they pop up? I got a compast plrestent bolb in a metle reflecter sheild thing.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Got to love to see your seedlings grow! No Josh, no light until they pop up. I've read up on few studies on the affect of tomato germination, and light was inhibitor. So in the propagator/germination dome the sit at 82-83F (27-28C) the sit until they sprout, then, immediately under the grow light, 2-3" from the light source (T8 bulbs)

Good luck with your garden this year! Keep us posted on your progress!!!

Regards,
D

wolfie

Hey D, what part of Virginia you in? I am south of Richmond and the snow is killin us!!

I just planted about 144 seeds tonight, various items... my first time starting this early, they are in the living room now, will let u all know when they start to sprout!!

I still need to order my tom seeds, will get those asap!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always say I don't plant tomatoes until Valentine's Day, but I had time on my hands this AM and couldn't resist. So I hereby declare TODAY is Valentine's Day! :)

The Early Girl and Big Beef tomato seeds are planted!

(given how much snow is still on the ground and what our weather forecast looks like, this is either gutsy or stupid! :) )

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I always say I don't plant tomatoes until Valentine's Day, but I had time on my hands this AM and couldn't resist. So I hereby declare TODAY is Valentine's Day! :)

The Early Girl and Big Beef tomato seeds are planted!

(given how much snow is still on the ground and what our weather forecast looks like, this is either gutsy or stupid! :) )
Gutsy is good RG you are in Ohio I have relatives there and know you will be colder later than me. What is the frost date you are aiming for? I have my toms scheduled for Mar 1 (indoors). Just wondering If I'm waiting too long. they are all heirlooms and I don't think any of them are especially early producers. I'm planning on around May 1 planting though this will be a month or more later than usual though I know I always put them out too early. I know all about counting back from frost that is how I came up with those dates. But sometimes you gotta fly by the seat of your pants and throw out common logic.

Thanks
Dono :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

50% last frost date around here is April 15, so that's what I'm aiming for. But of course that means sometimes the last frost actually comes early than April 15. Depending on what the weather forecast is looking like, I often put my tomatoes out a little earlier than that. I put hot caps over them and cover that if it looks like getting too chilly. I think this year I'm going to do the plastic over hoops, even before I plant the tomatoes, work on warming the soil up more.

All in search of those June tomatoes! :)

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan!

Another Virginian! I'm in the Locust Grove, between Orange and Culpeper, just west of Frederickbsburg... Yep, get those seeds, spring is coming, I can smell it (I think)! What varieties are you growing this year?

Rainbow - LOL, if the spring does not come to you, you make the spring seem closer, and planting those seeds is just the ticket! So with that in mind - happy Valentine's day!!! :wink:

While I made up the calendar, and next seeds should have been planted next weekend - couldn't sleep yesterday evening... I'm weak, I couldn't resist, so planted my basket varieties seeds last night.

Last year I grew many Tumbling Toms (yellow and red), but this year, a friend from Germany sent me some seeds to try, her favorite basket varieties she grows, so I'm very very excited to try these. All in under the dome, "sweating" a little at 82F, ten 12" baskets, so 2 plants of each:

Balcony Yellow
Garden Pearl
Rose Himbeer
Pendulina Orange
Whipper-Snapper

Happy seeding and growing to all!!!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:50% last frost date around here is April 15, so that's what I'm aiming for. But of course that means sometimes the last frost actually comes early than April 15. Depending on what the weather forecast is looking like, I often put my tomatoes out a little earlier than that. I put hot caps over them and cover that if it looks like getting too chilly. I think this year I'm going to do the plastic over hoops, even before I plant the tomatoes, work on warming the soil up more.

All in search of those June tomatoes! :)
Alright fine than! :P My 50% - 32* is Apr 11. So I guess I will be planting too. It will be roughly 2 weeks earlier than planned but I was going to plant some more 2 weeks after the first planting for insurance so than my friends and neighbors will get what I don't need. I will still be kinda on track. To tell you the truth I don't think I could have held out that long anyways. :lol:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:... To tell you the truth I don't think I could have held out that long anyways. :lol:
Dono - I knew you couldn't wait till the end!!! And how can you, really - you have all the seeds, all the supplies to for seedlings - :clap:

Regards,
D

P.S. Planting cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower seeds tomorrow!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There is still snow on the ground but what the hey. To tell you the truth I normally planted, not really sure probably, in March some time, it was always early and people thought I was nuts but I always had plenty to give away. To borrow from the Ghostbusters "I aint afraid of no frost"

:lol:

I think I will have myself a race an plant some in the pellets and in pots with my homemade mix to see who wins.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Then let the race begin, Dono! Be sure to post your observations!

Transplanted all of my "earlies" last night:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup021320102/788232478_bJZNW-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010firsttomatoesup021320101/788232539_dEfu8-XL.jpg[/img]

No one seems to be in "transplant shock" as of this morning, so that makes me happy!

Regards,
D

wolfie

I am still waiting on seeing the first spout of the 144 pellets I planted Wed night... I am wondering if it's too cold in my house hmmmmmmmm

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shan,

Temperature could indeed play a part in germination time, but also, variety and the age of the seeds as well. I find that 82F-83F works well for me, with the average germination time of 3-5 days...

At an average "room" temperature, seeds could take up to 2 weeks to germinate, but usually with in 7-10 days, so nothing to worry about!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

D_V

Oh I will be sure to keep you informed. I have quite a few seeds of yours so they better germinate or ............................................................I will tank you anyways and hope the rest do. :lol:

I don't have a thermometer that goes low enough to check the temp. I also don't have a heating mat, but I am using a heating pad for sore backs. Thing is with that it has a two hour auto-shutoff. :x At least I get to check on them quite a bit. I got the pad on warm it has 4 settings low, warm, med, hot. It feels about right not too hot and not too cold.

How deep do YOU plant your seeds? I have them just at to just barely below the surface. I also have them upstairs where it is a little warmer. Though I did get my one lonely tomato to sprout and actually grow pretty good with no heat in the cold basement in Dec to now. So........Anxiously awaiting the birth here will update as needed. I planted them late Fri night.

Dono

p.s. about the auto-shutoff obviously I'm not going to get up every 2 hours at night to restart the heating pad. Do you guy's think being warm than not so warm than warm again will hurt them in anyway? Like maybe screw up their "Thinking" and die off.

wolfie

Well, its no where near 80 degrees in here LOL maybe about 60 during the day, and possibly 40 at night. I am keeping them in my living room which is the warmest room tho. I do remember them taking about 7-10 days on the package to germinate. the other thing I planted em pretty deep, so that might be an issue as well. I read somewhere about the deeper planting being better, I thought? hmmmm

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

That temperature drop - last year, I did sprout many seeds on the top of the shelf under which, the grow light was attached. So the temperature drop at night with the light off was about 10F or so, and no issues, so, I'm thinking it would be OK?

Depth - for tomatoes and peppers, about 1/4" deep. To keep it consistent, I made a little "tool":

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/photos/788351887_Rp3z7-XL.jpg[/img]

Soda cap and a pen, pressure fitted - inserted into a small hole made in the center of the cap. This way all the seeds I plant go into the dame depth.

Regards,
D

wolfie

rockin tool D!!!

I think mine may be a little deeper, do u think that will be a problem? or just take longer to sprout?

MC Mixin Bricks

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/MC_Mixin_Bricks/Picture29.jpg[/img][/img]
[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/MC_Mixin_Bricks/Picture32-1.jpg[/img]
Last edited by MC Mixin Bricks on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tn_veggie_gardner

Hi all. =) I started my tomatoes way early this year. I want those coveted July 4th tomatoes! I started 20 peat pellets worth on January 23rd & some more about a week and a half ago. The first ones are Rutgers, Persimmon, Better Boy & Wisconsin 55. The others I started later are Black Cherry, Sungold, Sungold Select II & Amish paste. The ones started on the 23rd of Jan. are already looking great!

- Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tn_veggie_gardner wrote:Hi all. =) I started my tomatoes way early this year. I want those coveted July 4th tomatoes!

- Steve
Anybody can have tomatoes by the 4th of July! :) I'm always working on June tomatoes! Usually have tomatoes near the end of June, sometimes closer to the middle if weather cooperates. I would think down there in TN and starting your tomatoes so early, you wouldn't have trouble with that (unless you are at higher elevation?).

JUNE TOMATOES!! :) (For that it helps to grow quick ripening tomatoes like Early Girl, Ultimate Opener. I'm doing both this year.)

wolfie

well I succumbed to heating pads under the seedling trays for germination, and I set my thermostat at 60 but covered the vents in my bedroom lol hopefully the warmer overall temp and the heating pads will get me started!

applestar
Mod

:twisted: OK everybody, who else thinks this sounds like a challenge? :twisted:

Good luck rainbowgardener! Hope all your hard work pays off. And you too, tn_veggie_gardner :wink:

Oops! Wolfie got a post in ahead of me! :roll: Good luck! Oh, the things we do for our precious seedling! :lol:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Steve and Shan - happy grow out this year! Seems like many of us tarting early this year!
applestar wrote::twisted: OK everybody, who else thinks this sounds like a challenge? :twisted: ...
It does, doesn't it? I'm in :wink:

Last year was mid July for me for the smaller varieties. June tomatoes you say :roll: Healthiest, and largest plants I've seen so far are Alex's and Dono's... Still, bring it on! :-()

Planting the rest of tomatoes this weekend!

Regards,
D

tn_veggie_gardner

Thanks, y'all. =) I do have a plan. The last frost date for this year is from April 15th to 23rd (depending upon source). Late in March, I am going to put the plants outside in a cold frame I recently purchased. I have some heat mats and a thermometer for it which should help with this process.

- Steve

seagullplayer

I have some “mountain princessâ€

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's not an actual "race" just for fun. It just has been kind of evolving, I would think this is a common thing on garden forums. Now why didn't I join a few years ago, could someone tell me this. I have been gardening by myself all this time, I've been lonely. :(

I don't think I have any early tom's some mediums though but I have:
Brandywine, Amish Paste, Giant Syrian, Kumato, Black From Tula, Cherokee Purple, Spiridonovskie (Notice my nickaname is the middle of that one it was made for me :lol:), Black Cherry, Isis Candy Cherry (which I have on miles ahead of all my others).

Again good luck to all of us, not for the race just for a good season, well the race too. :lol:

applestar
Mod

I've split out the posts contributing to the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112524#112524]Tomato Race[/url] from the First seeds for 2010 - Planted! thread. Post any further updates and comments [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21904]to the new thread[/url] please.

Gixx, of course you had to go and post here about the race while I was working on the splitting process :roll:. Your post got left behind, so [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112675#112675]I'll be copying it as a quote over there[/url], unless you want to go ahead and re-post. :wink:

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

:D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, first tomato seeds are now in the seedling mix.
I started:
6 oxheart
9 Pink Brandywine
6 Hillbilly
6 Rutgers
6 Ponderosa Pink
7 Belgium Giant
13 Red Brandywine
7 Peach Blow Sutton
6 Old German
7 Yellow Stuffer
12 Cherokee Purple
14 Beefsteak
7 Burpees long keepers
7 Grueso
6 Liberty Bell
8 seeds saved from my garden
6 OSU Blue
6 Delicious

My goal was 6 per type per vendor. I had some from multiple places, and wanted to compare the germination, vigor etc.
I still have alot of pepper and tomato to get started, but I am out of room, until some of these germinate....
Give me a couple days for the oldest ones to germinate.

It still feels too early.... But, I always end up with tiny little plants when I start them when it "feels" right. So, maybe it better learn to "feel" right alot sooner in the year!

I even sometimes, simply direct sow the tomato seeds in the garden.

Does anyone else do this? I have had mixed results with it... I need to document it and keep records.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Nice list!

Do you have a specific name for the Oxeheart variety (there are hundreds variations...)

Cherokee Purple is definitely one of our favorites, and Yellow Stuffer - was a nice surprise, great stuffing tomato with pleasant tangy taste that balances well with what ever you fill it with, productive too, I think you will like it!

Regards,
D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I'm afraid that I don't.
I also have a pink oxheart from another vendor, just no room at the moment.
The one that I started today, was from Heirloom Acres, and it is not listed there anymore. They didn't list the latin names anyhow.
It was pictured as a red, with the usual Oxheart shape.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

My tomatoes, peppers, and, eggplants are 5 days old (almost) and none have sprouted :shock: :?. Last year, I gave them an over-night soak and let them sit in front of the window with cellophane over their tops. I had toms in 3 days.

This year, they got only about a 7 hr soak and have no cellophane. Also, they are in a cooler area; well, some are in a cooler area (tomatoes) while others are in a warmer area (peppers). the pepper flat has a weak bottom heat below it, but I'm not sure if it is strong (hot) enough.

I'm worrying about the seeds rotting, but I think that if I get germination within two weeks, I should still be good. Since this is the firs time the seeds will be grown under lights, I'm a little more nervous. Waiting for seeds to sprout is worse than waiting to open presents on your birthday. At least then you know when you can open them!

Oh, well, perhaps today or tomorrow........or the next day.

Good luck with your seedlings, all.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't fear G5 peppers are slow starters I have some just coming up while the toms planted at roughly the same time are nearing their upotting.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”