tn_veggie_gardner

Thanks, y'all. =) I do have a plan. The last frost date for this year is from April 15th to 23rd (depending upon source). Late in March, I am going to put the plants outside in a cold frame I recently purchased. I have some heat mats and a thermometer for it which should help with this process.

- Steve

seagullplayer

I have some “mountain princessâ€

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's not an actual "race" just for fun. It just has been kind of evolving, I would think this is a common thing on garden forums. Now why didn't I join a few years ago, could someone tell me this. I have been gardening by myself all this time, I've been lonely. :(

I don't think I have any early tom's some mediums though but I have:
Brandywine, Amish Paste, Giant Syrian, Kumato, Black From Tula, Cherokee Purple, Spiridonovskie (Notice my nickaname is the middle of that one it was made for me :lol:), Black Cherry, Isis Candy Cherry (which I have on miles ahead of all my others).

Again good luck to all of us, not for the race just for a good season, well the race too. :lol:

applestar
Mod

I've split out the posts contributing to the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112524#112524]Tomato Race[/url] from the First seeds for 2010 - Planted! thread. Post any further updates and comments [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21904]to the new thread[/url] please.

Gixx, of course you had to go and post here about the race while I was working on the splitting process :roll:. Your post got left behind, so [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112675#112675]I'll be copying it as a quote over there[/url], unless you want to go ahead and re-post. :wink:

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

:D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, first tomato seeds are now in the seedling mix.
I started:
6 oxheart
9 Pink Brandywine
6 Hillbilly
6 Rutgers
6 Ponderosa Pink
7 Belgium Giant
13 Red Brandywine
7 Peach Blow Sutton
6 Old German
7 Yellow Stuffer
12 Cherokee Purple
14 Beefsteak
7 Burpees long keepers
7 Grueso
6 Liberty Bell
8 seeds saved from my garden
6 OSU Blue
6 Delicious

My goal was 6 per type per vendor. I had some from multiple places, and wanted to compare the germination, vigor etc.
I still have alot of pepper and tomato to get started, but I am out of room, until some of these germinate....
Give me a couple days for the oldest ones to germinate.

It still feels too early.... But, I always end up with tiny little plants when I start them when it "feels" right. So, maybe it better learn to "feel" right alot sooner in the year!

I even sometimes, simply direct sow the tomato seeds in the garden.

Does anyone else do this? I have had mixed results with it... I need to document it and keep records.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Nice list!

Do you have a specific name for the Oxeheart variety (there are hundreds variations...)

Cherokee Purple is definitely one of our favorites, and Yellow Stuffer - was a nice surprise, great stuffing tomato with pleasant tangy taste that balances well with what ever you fill it with, productive too, I think you will like it!

Regards,
D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I'm afraid that I don't.
I also have a pink oxheart from another vendor, just no room at the moment.
The one that I started today, was from Heirloom Acres, and it is not listed there anymore. They didn't list the latin names anyhow.
It was pictured as a red, with the usual Oxheart shape.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

My tomatoes, peppers, and, eggplants are 5 days old (almost) and none have sprouted :shock: :?. Last year, I gave them an over-night soak and let them sit in front of the window with cellophane over their tops. I had toms in 3 days.

This year, they got only about a 7 hr soak and have no cellophane. Also, they are in a cooler area; well, some are in a cooler area (tomatoes) while others are in a warmer area (peppers). the pepper flat has a weak bottom heat below it, but I'm not sure if it is strong (hot) enough.

I'm worrying about the seeds rotting, but I think that if I get germination within two weeks, I should still be good. Since this is the firs time the seeds will be grown under lights, I'm a little more nervous. Waiting for seeds to sprout is worse than waiting to open presents on your birthday. At least then you know when you can open them!

Oh, well, perhaps today or tomorrow........or the next day.

Good luck with your seedlings, all.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Don't fear G5 peppers are slow starters I have some just coming up while the toms planted at roughly the same time are nearing their upotting.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Don't fear G5 peppers are slow starters I have some just coming up while the toms planted at roughly the same time are nearing their upotting.
How old are the peppers? How long did it take before they sprouted.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Some peppers can easily take up to 2 weeks to germinate, so don't worry too much!

This season, I had some that germinated in 6 days, but some 12 days, and that is with the bottom heat!

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 what D_V said is right. I have some peppers that have been up a while while in the same pellet there is just now new sprouts coming up. Same with my tomatoes I potted up a tom today that had a microscopic of sorts sprout coming in. Peppers take a while to get going. So hold on it will come. I have a bunch of stuff down here that I thought would never sprout and it finally is, so be patient.

Scotkat

May be a bit early but incase they get leggy have potted them into plug pots this morning.

Gardners delight.

How are everyone else tomatoes?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi Scotkat - See the great tomato race thread for more on how everyone's tomatoes are doing!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21904&start=60

barnercora

anyone purchase from here? good news is if you spent 7.50 shipping is free.

sorry, coudn't cut and paste my two chihuahua is on my lap :lol:

" Trade Winds Fruit" they have lots of tomato seeds to choose.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2194/]here[/url] is a review of them. I haven't dealt with them myself, but they look pretty good.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Good find!

They have my Arkansas Traveler...from old times... maybe this is the real one!

https://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Tomatoes/Categories

If the link does not work, just leave off the part after .com.

I need to check this out!

applestar
Mod

These aren't the FIRST tomato seeds planted, technically, since I planted a few varieties to join the Tomato Race :wink:. But my main tomato seeds, started on March 1, have mostly sprouted between yesterday and today.
We're off to a good start. :clap:

toxicburn1

Geee. now you really made me look bad :( My tomato seeds took about 2.5 weeks to sprout. Jalapeno is still getting out (4 weeks) ... I'm not playing with any of you... will go find my own competition ;)

so, T8 lights, ha? already looking for one :). BTW, is that the one that is in luck of blue spectrum? what can I use to supplement one?
Thanks.
Great Photos, Great tips, Great selections - jealous :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

toxicburn1 wrote:Geee. now you really made me look bad :( My tomato seeds took about 2.5 weeks to sprout. Jalapeno is still getting out (4 weeks) ... I'm not playing with any of you... will go find my own competition ;)

so, T8 lights, ha? already looking for one :). BTW, is that the one that is in luck of blue spectrum? what can I use to supplement one?
Thanks.
Great Photos, Great tips, Great selections - jealous :)
I'll bet that you did not use bottom heat. This is really important for peppers as they like the soil to be from 70 to 75 degrees F. I had to take mine off of bottom heat due to poor air circulation in that are, so only about half have germinated. It's good to know that I can still get germination even after a month. None of my jalapenos have sprouted yet, so they must be a longer germinating variety (or my save seeds could just be bad :roll:).

For bottom heat, a heating pad works great, but make sure that it does not have automatic shut off....very frustrating. Once they sprout, take them off of the heat. You can also water them with hot (not boiling) tap water to keep the soil temperature up.

As far as T-8 lights go, you can pick one up at walmart for less than $15. There are bulbs for them in all different light spectrum. You want you bulbs to be 6000k or 6500k. This is the "cool" spectrum and will promote leaf and stem growth instead of bud and flower growth. There is also some debate as to using one cool bulb and one warm bulb in the same fixture, but you get two to a pack, so why not just go with cool?

Happy Gardening.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I did just buy a cheap T5 light and I must say they are much brighter. But my main is using T12's

applestar
Mod

FINALLY got some photos uploaded (light fixtures were raised for better photo angle)

June Race nominations (aside from the Contender):
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6524.jpg[/img]

Main Tomato starts:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6525.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6529.jpg[/img] [img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6538.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Apple - great looking seedlings! Thick and deep colored! And great use of containers to start the seeds! Using every inch of available space I see :flower:

Regards,
D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous start to those seedlings!!!!!!

Alan in Vermont

I got started on my seed flats on Sunday. I'm planting in cell trays instead of in starter trays and transplanting into cells. I'm having to work one-handed this year and there was no way I could see to make transplanting do-able. I'm setting two seeds in each cell so there should be at least one plant break ground.

So far;

144 cells of Walla Walla onions.

6 varieties of tomatoes at 8 cells each

24 cells of cauliflower.

Still have sweet peppers to start and maybe a couple more varieties of toms. If the weather hols as it has been I'm hoping to get the tractor out and start shaping the hills for my vine crops. Once those are laid out I have 50-60 yds. of wood chip mulch to spread around then to suppress weed growth.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”