MysticGardener67

Could somone post more

on the texas/florida/figure 8 weave? Prsonally never heard of it...
I probably use the technique and not even no it LOL

muddy45

I can not go in to youtube and see information,because of my obsolete browser.
I never heard of this weave system.
please explain.
Larry

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Very simply stakes at either end of the row; tie twine to first stake, run to other end of row with string at desired height. Once around the pole and head for other end. Many cross over to the opposite side of the row making a super elongated figure eight, hence that name; I first heard it called the Florida weave but then heard somebody else use Texas weave and don't wish to take sides there.

Simply repeat as necessary; as the plants grow you simply weave them into the twine. Support is contiguous and encourages the plants to grow on a vertical plane rather than horizontally; perfect for garden rows and smaller spaces, and it is resource conservative, taking neither great amounts of time or money... just works for me...

HG

muddy45

Small world,this is what I do on some of my plants,,others I make my own netting with jute twine and others I use hog wire stretched across t-posts.
I like the hog wire better,more permanent.
no it does not burn plants or tendrils.
the hog wire is 1950's vintage,rusty as all get out,,given to me by my late 95 yr. old brother in law when he sold his farm and equipment.
Larry

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Good on ya, Larry... :D

HG

Timlin

Great thread. I'm just beginning to think about the coming season. Put in my first 3 seeds and they are just peeking through the soil right now.....they grow in the greenhouse all summer and I reseed a couple more times before seeding the outside garden varieties.

I like the idea of the weave and have copy/pasted that info for using on two of my raised beds. I'll see about the hog wire....this is not farm country so I may not be able to find that it sounds good.

muddy45

I am not promoting hog wire for trelless.
I am just cheap and don't have a lot of money to waste on things that I can find alternatives for.
if you are gonna buy some thing new their are other things you can buy.
I also use the strings off of hay and straw bales to make trelless,,they last several years.
just string them to t-posts and draw tight.
all one is doing is duplicating a store bought vegetable trelless.
good luck
Larry

Timlin

Thanks Larry! Actually we are a joke in our family for our inventiveness (that's a term that actually translates to 'cheapness'!). I'd probably never buy new but I appreciate the suggestions......I actually hadn't thought of using the hay bale string and it is indestructible isn't it?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Jake L. wrote:Don't make beds 4 feet wide, it is a waste of space/soil. Only make beds 2 feet wide.
The four foot beds work best for me. I plant my tomatoes in cages in the middle with summer squash planted on both sides of the tomatoes and either peppers or eggplants at the corners. This year the 4' X 8' beds will have summer squash in the middle with onions along the outside edges.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”