hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This is a first for us

I planted the seeds for my earliest tomato transplants two days ago. The first is that we are still eating home grown tomatoes from the garden. Have never planted next years crop while still eating fresh home grown tomatoes before. Also another first. We had a very mild fall this year, and in late November I noticed lots of volunteer tomato plants growing in a bed. I took four of the plants and transplanted them into small containers. I plant to overwinter them and plant them outside during the spring. So far the plants are only about six inches tall and are growing very slowly in the somewhat cool greenhouse and with the low hours of winter light. I would expect the plants to be loaded with fruit prior to planting time.

I also ordered veggie seeds Sunday and ordered a new supply of tomato seeds from totallytomato.com. Another couple of weeks and I'll be starting a second batch of tomatoes from seed.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

earth

Hi hendi_alex...me again..... wow! u r still eating your home grown tomatoes!!
I was checking if anyone has started growing tomatoes yet..luckily came across your post, but as i told u in your Orchid thread that i have only a small patio on 3rd floor to grow & also i will be growing tomatoes for the first time (i am a new gardner!!) do u have any tips for me. Can i sow seeds in pots in my apartment - will they grow. Since October sun has totally disappeared from my patio but i do get 5 hrs evening sun in summers. These days temperature is 50F but in summers it touches 90-95 F.

I had planted pepper plant in September-it grew 4inches tall. i used to keep it outside on stairs for sun during day and evening used to get it inside. BUt it died :-( ...maybe because it used to be cold despite sun.
(\___/)
( ='.'=)
(,,)_(,,)

purplerose

Re: This is a first for us

"...and in late November I noticed lots of volunteer tomato plants growing in a bed.... "
Hi. I haven't heard the term "volunteer" before. I presume you mean plants that have self-seeded themselves. In any event handi_alex, your tomato growing efforts sound very impressive indeed.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bah! (said the grumpy old fart that got 16 inches of snow dumped on him the other evening). Humbug! :lol:

Seriously Alex, that's great... just jealous... :cry:

I've stopped eating tomatoes for the most part; just seems like a disappointment everytime, thinking about garden 'maters and how these imposters, these simulacrums of tomatoes just don't measure up... I will wait and that will make them all the more special when I get them again...

Yeah, jealous...

HG
Scott Reil

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Earth, I start my tomatoes over a heat mat and generally augment with light from a single CFC from a $6 clamp reflector from Lowes or Walmart. The plants will germinate within 10-14 days on a 70 degree heat mat, and when placed near a window and given supplemental light from a CFC, the plants should thrive. Here in S.C. we generally have lots of over 60 degree days during January and February, so the plants get moved out into the sunlight during those times. I often place them in a cold frame to help increase the temperature and block the wind. Of course the plants go back into the house at night.

Alex
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

earth

thanks hendi_alex..... i will do the same- hope i get good plants & tomatoes :-)
(\___/)
( ='.'=)
(,,)_(,,)

vermontkingdom

Darn, it's Christmas morning and I'm eagarly waiting for my children and grandchild to arrive this afternoon. My love of gardening is second only to my wife and family. So, I go online and find people talking about starting their tomatoes. How discouraging for those of us in the cold! Gosh, we won't be able to start ours for at least three monts. However, since we can't start our seeds now we keep the gardening spirit alive and our garden imagination robust by just buying more and more seeds.

All I want for Christmas is year-round tomato gardening in Vermont!
"Good gardeners do not have green thumbs. They have brown knees, soiled hands and big hearts."

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Re: This is a first for us

hendi_alex wrote:...The first is that we are still eating home grown tomatoes from the garden...
Envious, in the nice way, but - I sure do miss a fresh of the vine tomato!

Speaking of overwintering your seedlings... I was doing some germination tests on some bulk and odd seeds. And in one batch, what was meant to be the standard PL Brandywine Sudduth, 2 of 15 seeds came up to have RL.

I believe it has somehow crossed with either Cherokee Purple or Black Krim (were growing to the left and to the right of Brandywine). I want to know what am I going to get out of these two, so I saved the seedlings, hoping to over winter them. Wondering if 4 months is too long :roll:

Regards,
D

MysticGardener67

Ummm Duh_Vinchi?

Please explain RL and PL. I gather those are genetic traits?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Regular Leaf (RL) Vs. Potato Leaf (PL)

Brandywine Sudduth is a Potato Leaf specimen. While spontaneous mutation is possible, it is not common to Brandywine to my best knowledge. Maybe if it was just one seed that gave me RL, but 2 from 15 - I'm guessing it is a cross... All three neighboring varieties tasted great, and all three were very productive. I want to see what these two look like in the summer of 2009!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”