Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Tomato - Roots development (good read)

I find this to be an interesting read on early root development and its relation and importance of transplanting and plant's future growth. If you have some time to spare, give it a try:

[url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137toc.html]CHAPTER XXVI: TOMATO[/url]

Under the Table of contents - plenty of information on root development of many other veggies, including Peppers and Eggplants too...

Regards,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, what an amazing wealth of information! How ever did you find this. I went in to it with a bit of suspicion since it is from 1927, which is closing in on a century ago. But it pulled me in. Certainly responds to a lot of questions we are still discussing here... what is the effect of transplanting your tomatoes, what is the effect of pruning them., etc. Thanks!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good morning Raibow!

Well, I think it's pretty safe to say that by now, I'm rather fascinated with tomatoes. And while the winter is here, I'm experimenting with different seeding techniques and transplanting methods and soils (trying to understand advantage of one method verses another), I stumbled on the post online reading as follows:

"I think it's best to transplant at the 1-2 inch height from the seedling pan to cells or whatever is deep enough to accommodate the whole plant with out bending the wee roots, that is, transplant so only the top few leaves are showing. The shock to the root system in doing that is what allows for a fibrous root system to develop which is advantageous in terms a greater root mass and uptake of water and nutrients than would be a tap root structure.

By direct seeding I mean direct seeding outside where the plants are left to grow in place and never transplanted, which is what some commercial folks in CA and other warm places do routinely.

The link above is a good one although it dates to quite a while ago. Before the molecular era the major work with tomatoes was with growth and basic pollination, etc..."

And that link was provided... Author of the post was Carolyn Male

She talks about the greater root mass and structure for better uptake of the nutrients - that was exactly what I was looking for! A foundation for stronger, healthier and productive plants! And it all starts from seed and transplanting at home. This process is something we have control over, right at home and with a minimal effort!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”