antoniochristina
Newly Registered

something is in my tomato leaves

I'm a brand new gardener. I have some baby tomato plants that I started from seeds. There is something dark trailing through the inside of the leaves. I've searched the internet for and can't find anything that matches. I can't tell if it is 1 bug eating it's way through the leaves and leaving droppings or eggs along the way or if it is a chain of bugs. It is on the inside of the leaves. I can't wipe it off. The skin of the leaf is in tact. It is the inside flesh of the leaf that appears as if it's being eaten. Does anyone know what this is? I didn't know how to attach pictures so I have included a link with pictures. https://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/album/AAB5172384DB?source=pw980

Thanks
Christina

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It looks like leaf miner. They are the larvae of certain flies. They bore into the leaves and then eat their way around, leaving those trails. You are right, they are inside the leaves and cannot be wiped off and are pretty protected from most pesticides or anything applied topically.

To start with pull off all the affected leaves and trash them, not in compost pile.

The best protection against the leaf miners is a just a good healthy organic soil, with healthy plants that can fight off infections and a range of beneficial insects and birds. There are several parasitic wasps that are predators for the leaf miners.

Otherwise I have seen Spinosad recommended. I don't know a lot about it and have never used it, but here's a little bit from Wikipedia:

Spinosad (spinosyn A and spinosyn D) are a new chemical class of insecticides that are registered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) to control a variety of insects. The active ingredient is derived from a naturally occurring soil dwelling bacterium.

Spinosad is recommended for use in an Integrated Pest Management program for commercial greenhouses since it will not harm most beneficial insects or predatory mites. Spinosad does not significantly affect beneficial organisms including ladybugs, green lacewings, minute pirate bugs, and predatory mites.

There are several home garden product manufactured for use in the United States including Monterey Garden Insect Spray manufactured by Lawn and Garden Products, Inc. and 'Borer, Bagworm, Tent Caterpillar & Leafminer Spray' manufactured by Ferti-Lome.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”