nes
Green Thumb

Green Tomatoes still Rotting

I've got my tomatoes sitting in my dining room on a nice airy shelf because I want them to ripen so I can make tomato sauce but they are still rotting :(

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/DSC_0009-2.jpg[/img]

Some are rotting from the bottom, most are rotting from the top. Any idea whats going on???

Some of the rotting is caused by the two-legged-small-pants-tomato-destroyer (aka my son) throwing the "green balls" and trying to eat them :roll:. I can't wait until these guys ripen so I can give him some to actually eat!! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I didn't answer this sooner, because I'm not too sure and I thought some one more authoritative would come along... but since they didn't, I think the basic answer is that just as we can get infections anywhere we have a cut and skin is broken, anywhere the tomato skin is damaged will make it susceptible to rotting at that point. The little guy is certainly making damage points, but sometimes your tomatoes have them any way, a little puncture from an insect or whatever...

nes
Green Thumb

You're right it might be insect damage.

It's just too bad because I'm not getting a single ripe tomatoes :(.

I had a nice dream about them the other night though where I went outside and had a couple surprise bushes of nice red tomatoes... *sigh* next year!

Thankfully Lucas has stopped playing with the tomatoes, but it's even the ones he's not throwing that are rotting.

applestar
Mod

Nes, I can't say for sure either, but some of my green ones are doing this too... even the ones that I soaked in baking soda solution, hoping to kill any surface fungi. But many if not most of my tomatoes are salvaged from plants with signs of Late Blight. If it's IN the tomato, I think you just can't do anything about it. Big toms like the ones you have, I would cut out the brown parts and use them for some kind of cooked green tomato dish. So far, I've had fried green toms, green tomato and sweet or jalepneno salsa, and curried green tomatoes. I can recommend all of them.

I've noticed that even in a cardboard box of assorted tomatoes with browning tomatoes, SOME stay fine and others turn. (In fact I have to sort through them today, haven't done it in about 3 days. So there's attrition but some have continued to ripen without damage.

I have my really "valuable" tomatoes lined up upside-down on cake/cookie cooling racks for better circulation. You might want to try that. They end up with rack dents on the bottom (like grill marks :lol: ) but they seem to hold up much better. Be sure to check every day because they seem to manage to go bad from one day to the next. :roll:

nes
Green Thumb

We're definitely having the same problem! But my plants all looked fine, healthy & green :?.

It's very strange they'll be completely fine then have HUGE brown spots the next day. The shelf I have them on right now is really more of a rack so they are getting lots of air circulation.

I'm super excited because I have two now that are just starting to get orangish & have NO signs of the brown-spot-disease!! :D

What a disappointment! I was SO looking forward to making my own tomato sauce this year. I guess that will just have to wait until next year now :(.

Coach
Newly Registered

The problem is also here in Sashatchewan, Canada, some one thought he had sprayed a chemical too close to the plants.

We have the tomatoes, also in the dinning room, in cardboard boxes.
The early ones aren't rotting, the late ones are. The same problem is occuring from two different locations (a mile apart), might I sugest that it just be the type of season we had.

WHAT am I to do? am sorting through them daily & distroying the rotting ones.

Have grown tomatoes for many years, never had this problem before.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”