peaches
Newly Registered

Tomatoes - Purple stems

Hello, I am new to the scene. I started with a jiffy plant growing kit it gives you a soil pellets and a green house all you do is add seed ...

So I did tomatoes peppers and eggplant .. the tomatoes have 2-3 stems with leaves now the stems look a little thin and weak on the tomatoes there about 3 inch.

So I took one tomatoe and on pepper and planted outside to see if what would happen and the stems of both plants tured purple is this normal ?
what shoud I do ?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi peaches -
were you initially growing the plants indoors? And before you took them outside, were they kind of yellowy-green rather than a nice green?

They're still pretty tender plants at only 3" high. Some purply color on the main stem of a tomato is normal.

If you just move them to a more shady spot at first and not expose them to full sunlight right off, they should be okay. They need to adjust to the all-day all-sun growing conditions, else they may fry.

Hope that helps :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoe seedlings are extremely forgiving, I wouldn't worry to much. They should be fine.

underthemagnolia

One tip I picked up from Walter Reeves is this:

When you put tender seedlings outside trim a few branches from a holly or any other shrub that could stand it and use those trimmings to "screen" the seedlings from the full sun.

I actually "planted" the branches in my raised bed as a screen for several plants. Before they went into that bed I had been carrying them in and out of the weather for weeks. They all happily survived the transplanting and are on their way toward the sky.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”