garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yellow leaves with small brown spots...should I be worried!?

I believe that it is normal for tomatos to have their lowesst set of leaves turn yellow and die, but these leaves are going about 2 ft. up my pllant and have small brown spots.

What is this, and should I be worried?

Thank you for your help.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have the same thing going on. I looked around for disease pics and couldn't find anything that quite matched but somewhat similar.

It is the end of the season, I'm about to get rid of them. But if it is disease I don't want to compost them.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along.

Good luck

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What is the condition of your higher-up, green leaves? Do they look healthy? Are your tomatoes themselves (the individual fruits) looking about right for this time of the season (given that each of you lives in a much different climate from me and from each other)?

If the upper leaves are green and the fruits healthy, it's probably just an aging process for the plant. My long-lasting Roma plant last year kept dying from the bottom and producing from the top--sometimes one or two tomatoes at a time! :lol:--last year, but the leaves and fruits furthest away from the "trunk" were healthy, and the tomatoes tasted good.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

garden5
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:What is the condition of your higher-up, green leaves? Do they look healthy? Are your tomatoes themselves (the individual fruits) looking about right for this time of the season (given that each of you lives in a much different climate from me and from each other)?

If the upper leaves are green and the fruits healthy, it's probably just an aging process for the plant. My long-lasting Roma plant last year kept dying from the bottom and producing from the top--sometimes one or two tomatoes at a time! :lol:--last year, but the leaves and fruits furthest away from the "trunk" were healthy, and the tomatoes tasted good.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
The condition is on a sucker from the main plant which grew very large. It doesn't have any tomatos growing on it (the sucker). The yellowing/brown spots goes about 2/3 up the sucker with the upper 1/3 looking normal.

I think that this may just be the plant coming to the end of its growing cycle.

I will wait and see if this condition stays on the affected plant or if it spreads to neighboring plants.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”