applestar
Mod

My older daughter has never liked tomatoes and says the smell of fresh tomatoes makes her sick. I've always encouraged her to respect/listen to her body's instincts -- I believe if her body is telling her to reject it, then she's better off not eating it. She DOES enjoy ketchup -- when she was about 2 or 3, there was a time when I said "only vegetable she eats is ketchup" :lol: but she's never wanted to eat tomato/pasta sauce. On the other hand, she eats pizza, but pizza sauce is usually made from tomato paste.

Maybe the thorough cooking process breaks down whatever bothers her about tomatoes.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'll no longer view my two daughters as being peculiar in not liking fresh tomatoes. They will eat any form of tomatoes that are cooked or processed, but have a strong aversion to fresh tomatoes. As you say, maybe the reaction is each daughter's body telling her something.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I think tastes change as we age and mature. I used to not like fresh tomatoes, and this year I ate blt's with gusto. I still don't care for them in salads, however. And I'm getting way more tolerant of cheese too. But if you really have a reaction to something, like an allergy, it's best to avoid that food. I'm allergic to soy lecithin but I avoid all soy products just to be safe. I get hives :oops:

Earl K
Green Thumb

I used to not like Tomato sauce,pasta sauce,pizza,ketchup.etc..But as i have gotten a little older i love pizza,Spaghetti sauce and am trying to grow any type of tomato possible.It is strange how our tastes change as we mature :?
Florida porchgrown veggies
USDA zone 9

Gerrie

I also used to break out in hives and swell up when I ate tomatoes which I have always loved. This was back when I was in Jr. High school, very hard time on a girl to be swollen and hivey (yuck! what's wrong with you?!) But we discovered after lots of shots and tests-I was always allergic to lots of things as a child-It was the salt that caused the problem. Tomatoes are naturally high in salt and for a year or two I couldn't tolerate salt on or in anything. Then by itself it went away.
o the write with the acid reflux, lots of bread may help. I need to eat bread when I drink wine for that reason and I AM NOT giving up wine!
The spiritual life is first of all a LIFE, it is meant to be lived-Thomas Merton

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”