Tammy42

Is anbody growing Marianna Peace or Principe Borghese Tomato

I just wanted to know if anybody here is growing the Marianna Peace or the Principe tomato? If so could you tell me what your thoughts are on these tomatos, and any info.. I am greatly interested in growing these next year!!! Thanks for any information you could give me!!!! Tammy

applestar
Mod

I'm growing Principe Borghese. I've mentioned them here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18062&highlight=
and here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17247&highlight=

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Mariannas Peace is a very good, sweet, low acid pink beefsteak. It produces very late in the season for me so you might want to pair it with a similar variety (Earl's Faux, Stump of the World, etc. that will produce earlier so that you can have that type of tomato all season long.

Tammy42

Thanks guys for the reply!! Can you tell me about any of the conditions it grows in. How long till tomato? How long it grows? Anything like that would be helpful. Tammy

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I think MP is listed as 80-85 days to maturity, but that is for a warm climate. I generally get my first tomato around that time (plant June 1 first ripe fruit in mid August) but the bulk of the tomatoes ripen a month later. I just noticed that you are in Alaska. That may make it impossible for you to grow anything but early and mid season varieties. Pruden's Purple is probably the best of the few fairly early (65 days) large beefsteak varieties similar to MP.

Tammy42

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind for next year!!! Tammy

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Mariannas Peace is a very good, sweet, low acid pink beefsteak. It produces very late in the season for me so you might want to pair it with a similar variety (Earl's Faux, Stump of the World, etc. that will produce earlier so that you can have that type of tomato all season long.
I grew MP this year and I found it to be rather tart. As for the plant itself, it is potato leaved and susceptible to the blight going around. The tomatoes for me were prone to hideous catfacing and cracking. I got tomatoes at about 90 days. I highly recommend Pruden's Purple for a beefsteak pink tomato, also with potato leaves. The flavor was better for me, and no blemishes but timeframe was about the same.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”