Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Phosphate fungicide for tomato blight.

I have been reading everything I can find about fungicide trying to find something organic for tomato blight. Phosphate is a fungicides.

Phosphate is a fertilizer. You can buy Phosphate, Super Phosphate, Triple Super Phosphate at the garden store and farm supply store.

Late blight is killing tomatoes and potatoes. I fertilized my potatoes with plenty of phosphate and I have NO potatoe blight.

I fertilized one row of tomatoes with Super Phosphate about the first week of July just to see if I noticed any difference in plant growth or tomato production. This row is showing signs of blight but not as bad as the other 2 rows that got NO phosphate.

I just finished watering my tomatoes with a mixture of Super Phosphate in 5 gallons of water. Each plant got a quart of water.

I found a web site that says the best cure for blight is something taken in by the roots rather than a spray on the surface of the plant.

Tomorrow I am considering spraying my tomatoes plants with water, soap and Super Phosphate. Not sure yet if this is a good idea.

INTERESTING OBSERVATION. I picked some tomatoes and left them on the kitchen counter top over night. The next morning the tomatoes were all covered in spots. Each spot is a place starting to rot. By evening the spots were much large and by the next day the tomatoes all had to be thrown away. I picked more tomatoes only this time I placed all the tomatoes in a container and poured in a gallon of white vinegar. I soaked the tomatoes in vinegar for 2 hours then washed them off. The tomatoes have been setting on the kitchen counter top for almost 2 days and no spots have shown up yet. Vinegar is a fungicide too so it appears this experement worked.

Maybe I should spray my tomatoe plants with vinegar. Humm.........?

Copper is a heavy metal. I won't spray my plants with copper sulfate I refuse to eat copper.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diane
Green Thumb

Too much vinegar will kill the plants. We were talking about this somewhere, maybe the veggie board?
This link talks about organic farming and spraying copper for late blight.

https://www.ncnewspress.com/news/business/x1606969302/New-England-farmers-fight-fungal-disease-as-late-blight-hits-tomatoes

top_dollar_bread

Gary350 wrote:I have been reading everything I can find about fungicide trying to find something organic for tomato blight. Phosphate is a fungicides.
are you trying to grow organic tomatoes?? super phosphate is not considered organic!! Its because of the acid bath used when processing. It causes the nutrient to be too readily available and by passing many soil organisms.
It also can be over applied easily and deplete soil health
Go with soft rock phosphorus or bone meal!!

folair feeding with kelp is known to help fight blight, and foliar feeding with compost tea's have been documented on preventing and stopping blight..compost tea contains microbes that will fight the blight on the leaf surface, just keep foliar applying and theyll recover!!
good luck

[url]https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/lateblight.html[/url]
link on potatoe late blight organic alternatives

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”