Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Have you tried these varieties?

Doing some planning for 2010 season, I know what I'm planting from heirloom varieties and have all the seeds (except Spudakee - still looking for them).

But I also wanted to plant a row and try few disease resistant hybrids. So if you have any experience with the following varieties, please share your thoughts! I've read the vendor's description, but would like to hear what real world experiences are.

Golden Girl

Cabernet

Tomande

Another one is Sweet Cluster, but Alex have already done his part on this one, definitely planting it.

Regards,
D

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I've had one Golden Girl before my dad bought at Whole Foods, and it was delicious. Never grew one though.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Which diseases are giving you problems?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

a0c8c - thank you for your input, appreciated indeed!

TZ - Everything in the raised beds is fine (my brother snapped a pic after I fed the tomatoes in the morning)

[img]https://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/duhvinci/2009_garden/2009_garden_me.jpg[/img]

No trouble with heirlooms, really pleased!

But there are few in the ground - from the pictures I've seen [url=https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/tomatoproblemsolver/leaf/]aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu[/url] , what it appears, that one plant in one location has verticillium wilt (Cherokee Purple), and there are two, on entirely different side of the house has some alternaria (Yellow Boy in the area adjasent to a large field of wild grasses and weeds of every kind)

All still have blooms, all still producing. I will definitely rotate the crops next year, but wanted to try those resistant varieties in the area next to the field. I love fresh tomato juice in the morning, so if those taste good, productive and dz resistant, I though why not to plant one row of 8 (2 of each) It gets plenty of sunshine in the morning, and partial shade after 3pm, so these don't fry.

Regards,
D

applestar
Mod

Sorry this is OT, but am I mistaken or did you drill holes (to a preset depth) along the top edge of the wood and individually insert the legs of the scroll design garden border fence? :shock:

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Exactly!

I had very little of the quality soil and local compost left, so this bed is only 10" high. But to keep the rabbits out of this low riser, put this little "fence". Drilled some holes as you guessed, works like a charm.

Plus this was a good way for me to test the "square gardening". I think it works, bell peppers are very productive (5 in this bed) plus 1 Hungarian Wax, loads of sweet and Tai basil, and on the pedestal I didn't want to take a chance are 2 Russian Bull's heart (directly behind me).

Regards,
D

Diane
Green Thumb

Your plants are huge! Very nice garden.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

In case you didn't know, hybrids are only resistant to the specific diseases listed on their packages (the letters after their name -VFN etc), and for verticillium wilt I believe that there are three strains so you would have to know which strain hits your area of the country. The hybrids will not come through unscathed, they just resist the disease long enough to get some ripe tomatoes... long enough to be profitable for farmers.

Those hybrids will not resist foliage diseases any better than open pollinated varieties.

splat42069

can you get some more pics of your garden. its looks delicious!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”