nes
Green Thumb

Holes on top of tomatos

[img]https://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu269/knitness/DSC_0009.jpg[/img]

I was just wondering what might be wrong with my FIRST EVER TOMATO!! :D (Yippee). There is a little crack on the side probably because of watering issues (with RAIN RAIN RAIN this year), but it's the holes on the top that I don't know about.

It is a little under-ripe, but I'm going to let it sit on the counter for day or two.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Fruit borer worms often damage that area. They are brown caterpillars 1-2 inches long

stella1751
Greener Thumb

We don't have fruit borers here in Wyoming. Well, if we do, I haven't seen 'em yet. I do have damage like that, Nes. They are generally blemishes, probably caused by birds or hail or something like that requiring the tomato to develop scar tissue to protect the inner flesh. In fact, there is a gang of pigeon thugs that roam my streets, and I suspect they keep checking my tomatoes to see whether they have turned to dried grain yet. Oh. I bet insect eaters leave a mark when they snag a worm or whatever. Also, because I use cages to support my tomatoes, several of them have blemishes from having come into contact with the cage bars (?) while maturing. No big deal. It all tastes good :lol:

That's a lovely first tomato, by the way!

Diane
Green Thumb

Something ate holes in a few of my tomatoes. They were brown. :x
Your tomato may have superficial problems like Stella says. You'll know when you cut open the tomato.

applestar
Mod

It could also be slugs. :x

nes
Green Thumb

It definitely came into contact with the support structure I am using (it was right on top of it) so stella may be right about that :). I'll sprinkle some dio earth but I've only ever seen one slug in the whole garden. It's a bush tomato so I havn't seen any caterpillars, but that doesn't mean there aren't any! I'll have a good look. Thanks guys!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”