love2cook
Newly Registered

Tomatoes for Sauce making

Can anyone suggest some tomatoes I can Grow in the front range of colorado for making sauces? I really like the San Marzanos, but I am not sure what I can grow here?

Thanks!!!!

Andrew :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

What's your zone?

I grow Romas for my sauces - they're pretty easy, but I'm a Southern gardener, so I'm not sure what variety would do best for you. Some of the other mods would know though!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Amish past is a good, hearty heirloom that you can grow, it is a paste tomatoe and therefore, by definition: great for sauces.

Give your tomatoes lots of good soil, fortified with compost and composted manure, tomatoes are very heavy feeders. I should think that they would do great in Colorado what with the heat.

love2cook
Newly Registered

Thanks for the quick replies! We are in-between a 4 and a 5 as far as zones go. I hear that Brandywines, Black Krims, Green Zebras, Big Rainbows, Red Siberians and Aunt Rubys German Freens grow good in order of #1 first.

Are any of those considered Paste Tomatoes?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I grew green zebras last year and yes, they would make a nice sauce tomatoe. Loved them, loved them so much, that I ate them long before any of them had a chance to become a sauce though!

Oh, and one comment about the green zebras; mine at least came up right away (as in Late May to early June) but did not ripen until October, search me because they were in bright sunlight and were well fertilized just like the rest of my tomatoe crop.

I don't think that zebras are actually a paste tomatoe but, they would be lovely in a sauce. And I'm pretty sure that Black tomatoes as a whole are not paste tomatoes but, I'll stand corrected if someone knows otherwise, The others I am not familiar with. At least not enough to say whether they are pastes or not.

Somewhere in the tomatoe forum (in several places) is a link to the garden path (an organic nursery near me) there are lists of different heirlooms their with their designations. Check her out, I'm almost positive that she wouldn't be able to send you seeds because of the Canada/US border restrictions but, the site is a wealth of knowledge.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not sure about the Siberians but the rest are NOT sauce tomatoes...

Grew 'Sauce and Slice' two years back and like it alot but didn't save seed; will get them again this year. Good tomato for all the above...

HG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”