JimL

Soil temperature swings

I would guess that raised boxes like mine would permit rather wide daily swings in soil temperature, compared to those set on the ground.

Is this likely to interfere with tomato growth patterns?

JimL

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Are the boxes not in contact with the ground?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a couple 4X8' raised beds on my patio, sitting on the concrete. I've never tried measuring soil temps, but the green peppers, tomatoes, and basil in them do fine. But my beds are 2' deep and then once everything is planted and the weather is warmed up in spring, I mulch them, which helps shade the soil, hold moisture in, etc.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My raised beds, on concrete, are ten inches deep but with only perhaps six or seven inches of soil. Temperatures have often been into the mid to high 90's this summer and the beds are doing just fine. In fact the plants there are doing far better than similar plants in my in-ground defined bed areas.

I don't believe a raised bed will have dramatic temperature swings unless it is totally above ground, as in a container on a deck, or planting box that is above the ground, and even then the temperatures will likely be modest if the cotainers get afternoon shade.

JimL

hendi_alex wrote:Are the boxes not in contact with the ground?
No.

>> raised boxes like mine ... compared to those set on the ground."

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”