petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Finally! At last!

I have ripe tomatoes!! Pardon my excitement, but I had to share. I planted my tomato plants on May 15th, and outside of some late frost/sun scald issues, the only other factor has been the cool temps. Therefore, I have waited patiently for eighty-five days before I got even one ripe tomato!! :? I promptly had a BLT sandwich (at 10:30 am--I was that excited!) :P

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/3801406092_271afbc999.jpg[/img]
Some zucchini, a few black cherry tomatoes, and two red siletz.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I am completely envious. Those are beautiful! BT's are my favorite, but I think I could eat a T and be happy :lol:

I set mine out June 1, and I am hoping I only have to wait one more week before I break out the Miracle Whip. Mmm. You have given me encouragement with this photo!

Diane
Green Thumb

I'm happy for you petalfuzz. It is a long wait.
I always pick them just as they turn from green this early so more will come. My red tomatoes ripen indoors. :roll:
I've never seen black cherry tomatoes. How do they taste?

applestar
Mod

I bet the sandwich was delicious! :()

I have been getting ripe tomatoes but I no longer have lettuce in my garden (all bolted) :roll: So I guess you have to choose... or I have to plan better. :wink: I do have baby lettuces that I've grown from seeds and transplanted for the fall garden (but you don't get the same flavor and crunch). I've been subbing Nasturtium leaves for lettuce.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Diane wrote:I'm happy for you petalfuzz. It is a long wait.
I always pick them just as they turn from green this early so more will come. My red tomatoes ripen indoors. :roll:
I've never seen black cherry tomatoes. How do they taste?
They were different that I thought--they were savory instead of tangy, and not as sweet as I expected for a cherry. But they are so pretty and the plants are monsters!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I get my tomatoes to ripen early by waiting until Memorial Day/
June 1 to put them in the ground. They all ripen on the same day no matter if I plant them on the last frost day or a week or two later, but it makes my spreadsheet journal look better when the June 1 plants ripen at 70 days vs the 80 days of the ones planted on the last frost date.

Never again will I plant peppers early. The little $#@&* didn't start to grow at all until July.

I did get early tomatoes (early July) from the ones I started in February and grew indoors in pots to well past first bloom size when they went out into the ground. I'll do that again next year with a couple so the wait on the real plants isn't so bad.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”