Brandywinegirl

Tomato Plant Flowers Yellow and Dying

I have had an abundant crop from the first group of tomatoes, some of the tomatoes are almost 2 pounds! Now, the tops are growing flowers that never open, turn yellow and die off. I know that because of all of the rain we got in PA, this may be a factor. Anyone have an idea? What should I do? Thanks! :roll:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14764]this Sticky[/url] at the top of this section of the forum? It addresses the question of blossom drop. :)

Brandywinegirl

I read it - thank you so much!!
:D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Do you feel that the Sticky answered your questions? If not, let us know and we'll try to help you figure out what's going on with your tomatoes. :)

My tomato plant was producing beautifully, until we had that heat wave last week, with temps up to 108º. Everything came to a screeching halt. The plant was loaded with tomatoes and flowers, but ripening stopped and no new fruit was set. :(

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I find that no matter what the weather is like, mid season fruit set is reduced, especially on plant that have a load of tomatoes from early fruit set. My weather has been perfect here, and the garden is full of bees, but only a small proportion of flowers are setting fruit. This is OK because the plants have loads of flowers and could not support the percentage fruitset I get in the spring. Some of the flowers pollinate, but just sit there without swelling. They will then start to grow later after I havest early fruits from the plant.

Brandywinegirl

I have been pulling tomatoes daily as they start to ripen in hopes that the plants will begin to produce new fruit.

Should I fertilize the plants (Tomato Tone) to stimulate growth?

Thanks for the help on this! Btw, the Porterhouse Hybrid tomatoes grow 1-2 lbs and taste so good. I highly reccommend them. They are sold by Burpee. :D

ChefRob

To answer your initial question... too much nitrogen in your fertilizer.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”