Rosie51

Sweet 100's

I bought some seeds from Burpee called:

"Super Sweet 100 Hybrid"

Are these the same as "Sweet 100's" ?? The reason I ask is that I planted these seeds last February, they are now growing in my garden just fine but the tomatoes do NOT taste like the usual Sweet 100's that I've bought as plants from WalMart. I am really upset because they must not be the same.

But Burpee named this pkt of seeds I have using "100" in it to make it seem like it is the the "Sweet 100's."

I am so upset about this. The cherry tomatoes I'm picking are not near as good as the regular Sweet 100's.

I'm upset enough to never buy Burpee seeds again.

But if someone here knows this is the same, then why don't they taste the same? They are not near as sweet and good as the Sweet 100's.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Could be me but name is where it is at. "Super Sweet 100 Hybrid" is not "Sweet 100". They are probably similar plants but not the same. The "Super Sweet 100" is probably a "Hybrid" of the "Sweet 100".

Dono

Rosie51

thanks, that is what I'm thinking too.

Well, after all that work what a disappointment and lesson learned!!

Thanks for the come-back.

filmnet

I have supersweet 100 VF, Hybrid also, I grew them from seeds they are now 7 ft tallin the ground, also ina topsy turvy upside pot, and 2 in 5 gal containers. my seeds are from Ferry-Morse, we will see if they are sweet, I hope first time for me. I also have given the same plants to other people.
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/20sweet100s.jpg[/img]

Rosie51

Filmnet, I do hope yours are better than mine. You are right that they are huge plants and lots of vines. We planted our tomatoes next to a fence we put in the garden for them this year and the 100's were planted at one end. The fence is about 4 ft tall and the tomatoes are waaaay taller than that--they lop over.

I'm tempted to cut some of this out since I'm not happy with the taste of the tomatoes anyway....I mean, as soon as I tasted the first one I knew something was not right!! These seeds I planted are NOT super sweet as advertised!! Mine are far worse!!

filmnet

They do grow that tall 7 FT I use tiny 6 ft bamboo sticks for them

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sweetness in fruits can be a factor of "sweetness" of soils too. pH is a major factor in uptake of nutrients and is often thought of as "sweet" baser soils, or "sour" acidic soils. If you are not giving the corrct nutrition to the plant then flavors can be lacking. Plants grown in acidic soils can be more sour and in baser soils can be more sweet. This assumes a knowledge of you soil conditions to begin with, and the correct technologies to move those parameters without damaging the soil, soil biology, or the plants. A soil test is a great starting place, but good organic practice always points towards a stable soil that regulates itself somewhere around neutral. CHemicals is a crapshoot. Get a soil test and use organic practices and I guarantee you will get better tasting tomatoes soon...

HG

splat42069

I am growing the Sweet 100 Cherry Tomatoe I got from a local nursery. I havent had any of the tomatos yet, but friends have and they didnt seem to say anything bad about them. Mine are also very big I have a 3ft cage around them(what the hell was I thinking when I did this,First time growing them I guess) Anyway they are well over the cage and about 5 feet out. I took little Y sticks and proped them off the ground with them.

Anyway since its a hybrid it was crossed with a different kinda plant. It could be just that seed or more. Since its a hybrid if I'm not mistaken it means its not always genitically perfect.

Id just stick with the original for next year, My 1 plant is more then enough tomatos for my wife and I.

Good luck man!

Rosie51

I have grown Sweet 100's every year in the last three years with no problem at all. They were wonderful. It could be my soil but I don't know why.

I just know next year I will get only a "Sweet 100" plant.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”