jamesy
Cool Member

Happy happy joy oh yeah...I can dig it

Avast there me'heartys , Tomatoes are appearing , peppers are frying..zuchhini bread is succulent and just toooo good.
May fair weather bless your gardens , mine was a dismal failure..but from the ashes..arises the september crop.

If this one fails I'm seriously moving to Texas..had enough of mud

Brandywinegirl

I am in Montgomery County - not far from you - and the rain has been a blessing and a curse. I have 21 tomato plants and last week, after much staking and praying, many tomatoes have ripened!! I have given many away and had my first tomato sandwich last night with a Rutgers variety with Swiss and mayo - yummy!! My potatoes are flowering and my lemon cukes are climbing. This has been the coolest summer I can ever remember.
Congrats on your harvest - hope your garden continues to grow. What kind of tomatoes have you planted? I have Brandywine, Bucks County, and Porterhouse Hybrid.
:D

jamesy
Cool Member

Hi Brandywinegirl , I have the big boy tomatos and another..early something or other,I'm so new to all this , I wasnt aware of a Bucks county type ?
My joy was short lived , its true the smell of cinnemon from fresh baked zuchhini bread lingers but I awoke to rain battering my window with crashes of thunder to confound my hopes of a long lie in this morning.

The entire backyard looked like a lake , I'm sure you know what I'm on about.Only yesterday I was putting down the last of the late plant transplants to the main garden , I dread to think.
Its a good thing I put a few plants up close to the house , they are all doing great.Toms and peppers , definately a chilli plant or two there but I'm not sure which type.
I have 6 or 7 different types of seeds for chillis but with so many plants drowning and so on , I cant be sure who the survivors are.

After todays lashing I don't think the main garden can take much more rain , its never dried out this year , the ground I mean.I remember last year having to fill dozens of gallon jugs of water to cart down in a barrow cos the ground was so dry.Cracked like a desert..this year its remained dark and damp.
Hopes of a decent august went right out the window this morning.

Tammy42

Jamesy. I hope some of your garden survived the deluge!!!1 I hope that you will be eating mater sandwiches soon, and having fresh baked zucchini bread soon!!!! I know what you mean Jamesy, about trobles with gardens!!! I just don't know what happened with the big tomato plant, it just kept snapping branches and the main top bush/branch was all turned in on itself and also snapped, no way of saving the branch, and thebad thing was it had five newly formed tomatos on it, now down to one!!!! One looking forward to savoring those tomatoes to. But thank goodness I have the other one, ot is at leady six growing on it now, when I was staking it today, found some in all the nooks and crannies!!! Looking forward to eating all this fresh produce!!! Tammy

jamesy
Cool Member

Thanks Tammy , ill get some pictures tomorrow.I was so disheartened by todays weather I swore id chuck in the towel...its not true,I wont.
My zuchhini plants are doing me proud , last night I got 4 loaves made.Ill give 1 or 2 away , eat one and freeze one , it freezes well by the slice.

Why is your tom plant snapping ? The wind/weather ?

applestar
Mod

Jamesy, I have a fall project for you: Raised beds. Use the search box (upper left of most pages) -- there has been A LOT of discussion. enter [img] in the box and you'll find threads with photos in them. If you read about mine, you'll see you won't even have to dig. :wink:

Several of my tomatoes -- didn't quite snap -- but had sagged into S curves after yesterday's deluge. I was looking out the kitchen window at my New Kitchen Garden thinking "something is not right" Finally realized the one tomato plant with DH's favorite tomatoes had slipped down its stakes and was sitting on the ground -- a good 2 FEET shorter! :roll:

Are you using string or wire ties -- something narrow to tie them up Tammy? My yesterday's inspiration was to rip strips out of an already shreadded/holey spunbonded floating cover to tie up the tomatoess with. It's soft, sheds water and dries quickly, easily rips into usable pieces but is strong when bunched and pulled in one direction, plus it sort of clings to itself when overlapped so that I was even able to tie a heavy branch to a vertical PVC pipe without the knot slipping back down.

jamesy
Cool Member

Thank you Applestar,ill have a look at that tonight.Its better weather today but thats what really grinds my gears,itll lull us into thinking its not so bad and I might even get time to mow before the next monsoon hits.

I do have a project lined up for a dry day that sounds just like what you describe here.Id come across some metal scaffolding and formed a rectangle,maybe 8' x 4' or a little less.About that anyway.
I was going to put deer fenceing sunk into the ground around the ground level.Maybe a foot deep and a foot high to keep the bunnies and woodiechucks out,patio screening around the rest and which ever one looks best across the top.
A caged unit which allows full sunlight and air,boards across the bottem to make my floor and this would be my herb garden I was thinking.

Well , I went and got my weatherproof paint for the metal scaffold , gathered a couple brushes,weedwhacked the area I was going to build it and had to scamper back in to avoid a drenching.
Its been a real uphill battle this year,I wont even call it the S word ..6 letter word ending in R..its been anything but.

So I'm just ignoring the fine weather today,aint falling for it.I'm off to deliver a tasty zuchhini bread to some friends.Hope everybodys well..my toms are looking good ,ping pong ball size and lots of them..wont be long now..grilled cheese and tomato..bit of black pepper..tv remote..ahhh :)

Tammy42

Hi Jamesy and Applestar, Jamesy to your question, I think it was do to the rain, and it has been somewhat windy here. Each day I would go out for those three days and there would be a branch snapped off laying on the ground!!!! Plus not to mention, my mom picked the most crooked tree around, and I think it did what Applestar mentioned, s-curved Curved in on itself because of how crooked it was!!!! Applestar to your question- I did have it staked, and since this incident, have restaked again, to keep this from happening again!!! I use a cotton twine to attah it, but ran out and cannot remember where I got it- had for a long time!!! Just don't like any of the garden twine they sell here, so I went to the yarn section at a department store and found some really good cotton yarn I like!!!! Works really well!!! Tammy

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”