Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Please, help me find these tomato varieties!

Hi all!

While hugely impressed with the taste of my Cherokee Purples (definitely regrowing them again next year (but more), I found few names of the similar varieties that considered by some superior due to their productivity:

Spudakee

Indian Zebra

Indian Strip

I know those are not "commercial" varieties, so my search in most places online returned nothing.

If you know any source of those seeds, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, help me out? Happy to pay, happy to trade (though if you could get those seeds, what can I possibly offer that you don't already have :lol: )

Regards,
D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Indian Stripe is the official name for Indian Zebra. It is available commecially, check Victory, and Sandhill.

Spudakee is still a private variety. You could check on the Tomatoville forum to find someone who grows it. Baker Creek has/had another Potatoleaf Cherokee Purple that showed up in their gardens, but I don't know if they offer it this year.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Seed Savers Exchange may have Spudakee. However, Tatiana's Tomato Database (tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Spudakee) indicates that it may simply be another name for Cherokee Purple.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cottonpicker

I BELIEVE Indian Stripe is the SAME as Indian Zebra. I have seeds for Indian Stripe that I will gladly send you. Give me your name & mailing address.
Larry Davis (cottonpicker)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Spudakee is not the same as Cherokee Purple, it is a potatoleaf mutation of Cherokee Purple, so in that regard (single gene mutation) is just a differnt as Cherokee Chocolate or Cherokee Green.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Larry - many thanks, would love to take you up on the offer, PM sent...

TZ - thank you very much for the info and clarification on the Stripes. Indeed appears to be the same variety, just one commercial name, other from the private name of the same variety.

Cynthia - tried, no luck on Spudakee on SSE...

As for Spudakee, I've seen that comment mentioned on Tatiana's page. But after doing some reading, I thing it is rather different:

Spudakee typically noted to produce more tomatoes over a longer period of time (starting earlier and finishing later), tend to withstand leaf disorders better than Cherokee and generally have less overall cracking.

Similar advantages were noted about Indian Stripe/Zeebra by many growers and added bonus - Indian Stripe tends to adapt better to less than ideal soil.

So those are my reasons for wanting the above mentioned varieties in my garden in 2010.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”