Tammy42

Emergency work on big tomato plant!!!

Well it's a bad day here at Tammy's garden!!! I know I mentioned a few days ago about leaves breaking that much, well more happened today. This time not do to the rain, because rain has slacked off, but I think it is due to my mom, getting the crookedest tomato plant possible and with it being so crooked it is harde to support, and for some reason the branches are/were curling up on itself, they were getting heavy and busting themselves, even with me staking it!! Well the main branch has snapped where the newly formed tomatoes are, it is not all the way off yet but mostly. I have really twined it really good and used panty hose where the tear/rip is to see if it might mend itself, will also try to grt another stake to run along the side of it and see if that helps!!! I still have hope for this plant, because I did not tale off the bottom suckers and I have news stems that are about a foot and a half long. What do you guys think, does that main branch have any chance of survival? Do you think if the main vining branch goes, will those off shoots continue to grow? Please cross your fingers or say a tomato prayer for my tomato plant!!!! Any suggestions would be helpful right now!!! :o Tammy

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Fingers crossed for you!

I think you have done everything you could, hard to suggest anything else to be honest with you.

Some partially snapped/cracked branches with a fruit on them could survive - I guess they feed through whatever connection to the lower part of the branch remain. Similar with one of my De Barao. Tall, productive, but got a little out of control. One branch is snapped in the manner you described, so I just added extra support, and for 2 weeks now it is hanging over the trellis, still blooming, still has fruit and all the leafs are still healthy.

Good luck!
D

Tammy42

Unfortunately today, I had to take that branch off, it was not looking good from the get go, it was wilted from the time I found it , and still like that this morning!!!! I had to cut it!!!! I hated to, it had five tomatoes on it!!!. But when I took that branch off I found another branch on it that was anout six to eight inches long, so made a clean cut and hoping for the best. That main stem will continue to grow and that the bottom branches that have grown and have sent new blossoms will be able to produce some tomatos!!! Took pictures of it today, will try to get those posted latter!!!! Tammy :(

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”