Balr14

Dumb question about Black Krim tomatoes

I have a number of black krim tomatoes that have gotten too heavy for the stems they are growing from, so the stems have broken. The stems are still intact, just broken and pinched. Will these stems repair themselves, or should I just cut the broken stems off and discard the tomatoes growing from them? They are still green and immature.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Its pretty common for heavy tomatoes to kink/collapse trusses. It's nothing to worry about.

applestar
Mod

I think if you can protect the tomatoes from resting on the ground -- e.g. make slings for them from stretchy soft but water shedding material like pantyhose -- the fruits will continue to be supplied by whatever connection they still have.

From recent posts, I would say wait at least until they start to color -- for fried green tomatoes -- or until they have sufficient headstart so they can be harvested and ripened indoors. I gather the so-called "vine ripened" tomatoes are only allowed to get color and not actually on the vine until fully ripened.

I keep thinking there HAS to be a difference in flavor though, between fully ripened on the vine, vs. picked when color starts to change, then allowed to ripen off the vine... isn't there?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Shame on me, but I let my Black Krims get out of control, both of my plants are almost 10' tall and at least 5-6 "main" trusses. And sure enough, couple of them kinked and cracked under the weight of fruit. Still growing and still ripening and flowering.

Just support it as much as you can, and make the best of it!

Regards,
D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Duh Vinci,
I'm not so sure what you have is Black Krim if it is 10' tall. Black Krim is normally about 3/4 as tall as an average height indeterminant, so 5ft is a big BK plant when something like Brandywine would be at 8 ft growing next to it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”