Tinybu88les8

Fried Green Tomatoes?

Has anyone made these? What did you think of them? Do you have a good recipe? Does it matter what type of tomato you use or doesnt matter.. just as long as its green? Lots of questions! Thanks!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure you'll get lots of traditional recipes from others.

We don't do any deep frying around here, so traditional fried green tomatoes are out, but I do sautee diced green tomatoes with onion and garlic (salt and pepper) to go with pork chops. It's the same tangy flavor, just in a different form. Any unripe tomato will do so I can even use frozen green plum tomatoes left over from the end of last season.

Frying them might be a good way to use green catfaced tomatoes so you don't have to deal with the scarring when they are ripe.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Here is a copy of a previous post of mine. And though we no longer do much frying, fried green tomatoes a few times per summer are one exception. It is best to pull out that old black iron skillet and put about one inch of oil in it.

"The key to fried green tomatoes is that the tomatoes need to be green ripe, or even have the smallest amount of blush to them. These mature tomatoes give a great flavor and texture while immature green tomatoes have almost no flavor. We dip ours in plain flour, dip in an egg and buttermilk mixture, then dip them in a favorite crumb mixture of flour and corn meal before adding to a shallow skillet with about an inch of oil. Be sure to salt and pepper to taste, keeping in mind that the plain flour has no salt. This makes great fried green tomaoes, but you can use your favorite beer batter or any other batter or crumb dip to create the crispy fried exterior of fried green tomatoes. We have already had them twice this summer, and oh so yummy!"

Some people like to add a little hot sauce. Others like to serve with some kind of rich white sauce. I like mine just plain as a side to a summer meal.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

eshenry

Pick Green Tomatoes that are pale (right before they begin to ripen, or have a slight tinge of color). Wash, slice, set aside while you mix up the coating.

in a bowl use flour and corn meal in equal measures. Add salt to taste and a liberal amount of black pepper. You may add garlic powder or onion powder as desired, but traditional southern cooks keep it basic. Throw in the slices, toss and turn to coat, and allow to remain in the mixture for a few minutes. Cook in an inch of oil (veggie) on medium high until golden brown and the tomato is slightly softened inside the crusty coating. A cast iron skillet is ideal for the cooking vessel. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel or wire rack. Some people eat as a side as is, and some (not me!) will add sugar if they are especially tart. I have seen some add hot sauce, but I enjoy the tartness and crunchy coating as it is.
Beware that fried green tomatoes are not a dish for all.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

made a heap of 'em last night. size (or variety) doesn't really matter, but I like to keep slices less than a half inch thick, closer to 1/4 inch for smaller varieties good crunch...dunk in egg, then roll in mixture of flour (we use amaranth, since the wife's not so good with gluten) and breadcrumbs, bit of pepper, salt, cayenne....makes the harshness of a large plant's collapse (stakes broke in a windstorm) a bit easier to take...

[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/khoomeizhi/for%20web/IMG_4967.jpg[/img]

Tammy42

Mmm goodie!!! Will have to make some of these when I get some more production on my tomato plants!!!! Tammy

applestar
Mod

Thanks so much for the recipes!
I'm not swamped in tomatoes (yet) so I'm patiently waiting for all my tomatoes to ripen, but this is an EXCELLENT way to use tomatoes that are damaged and have no hope of ripening on or off the vine!

Today, I found a few -- one with a bruised stem-end, 2nd with a couple of holes, and 3rd with a crack that was too big for it to heal over. All more than just pink but no where near ripe. So I cooked them up! Yum-my! I liked it with hot sauce and sour cream.

I'll try with greener toms soon... just... not yet. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”