anna40
Newly Registered

Tomatoes mushy and not turning red

At first I got nice tomatoes from container plant but now they are large, orange and mushy. Wont turn red and are so mushy had to throw away. My first year at growing them and I am very dissapointed. Can anyone give me any advice???

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What variety of tomatoes are they? What kind of soil is in the container(s)? How often have you fed the soil? How often have you watered, and how much water? What kind of sun exposure have the containers had?

Sacramento is in Sunset climate zone 14, which is favorable for tomato-growing. More specifics about your situation will help experienced tomato gardeners on the forum give you help.

Best wishes! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

anna40
Newly Registered

They are container tomatoes, get plenty of sun, used potting soil mix, water daily, good drainage and at first I gave them nitrogen and thats actually when I got the good tomatoes. Then I switched to giving them regular granulated plant food, just a little every three weeks or so. They have been good sized, and orangyyellow color for two months and seem like they are overripe and mushy. The leaves on the plant are curled and alittle bit and dried. I thought maybe it was the heat because it has been in the 100's but neighbors tomatoes are red and not mushy.

Thanks for your help! :D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”