FATZ

Home-made upside down tomato plant question

I built an upside down, hanging tomato plant holder from a five gallon bucket. Romas. All is well....I think. I mean, the plant has grown some. Still no blooms or tomatoes, but it is young yet.

I have a bucket with a 2 inch hole on bottom that the plant is growing out of and a lid on top with a 2 inch hole in it. I have filled the bucket with Miracle Grow potting soil. I have had this contraption going now for about 3 weeks.

:?: My question is about moisture. In north Louisiana where I live, it has rarely rained over the past month so I have kept my plant watered daily. I water it from the top, with the lid off, until water drips from the bottom hole. I notice that when I get ready to water and remove the lid, there seems to be "sweat" all over the inside of the bucket. This keeps the soil very moist, even on days that I do not water it.

Is this "sweat" OK? I mean, it can only be what is condensating from inside the bucket so I assume it is OK.

Also, over the hole on top, I have a piece of metal screen laying over the hole in efforts to keep any critters out of the bucket.

Anyhoo, I am just wondering if I am going about this the right way, though I know there are probably a million and one different ways to do it. :lol:

splat42069

I would have to say you should prolly lay off the watering if you have a lid on it. that keeps the moisture in and in sometime it could end up as root rot. don't water until the plant starts to wilt or leave the lid off of it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”