kylie77

Tomatoes growing out of control lol!

My tomatoes are doing great! Growing like mad! I have a ton of lovely green tomatoes on them, only had one ripe so far though. But my problem is that they're growing too well! I have planted them too close and they don't have enough support. This is my first year really growing much. I did a little last year, but just planted and watched to see what would happen. I didn't plan on my plants doing sooooooo well in my horrible thick clay soil even with the amendments I added. But to my surprised they're all thriving! I have neighbours commenting on my garden all the time. But what can I do with them now? I have small tomato cages that they grew out of ages ago and have put in bamboo steaks as well which they have also outgrown. Should I chop the tops and just keep them the height they are now or is there another option? I just can't keep them under control. I have been pruning them to try to keep them from growing into each other but am not having much luck.

I'm sooooooooo happy to see them doing so well. I'm just scared they're all going to topple over and be a big mess that I can't do anything with! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

splat42069

lol I can relate to the mess thing. I planted 4 of my tom. plants each about 2ft apart and my prob is they have outgrown the cage also and are gaining to much weight and falling over the cages and the stems are snapping.

What kind of maters are you growing? I have 1 cherry 100 and 3 beefsteaks. Take a look at the link in my profile and we might be able to relate on this issue. This is also my first time too.

Take care and happy harvest!

applestar
Mod

In the past, several people have mentioned extending their tomato cages by putting a second one on top up-side-down and using heavy wire or plastic tie-wrap/tie downs to secure them. They also said to use heavy tomato stakes and tie the cages to them to prevent toppling.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Also pinch out the growing tips to keep them from just getting bigger. And stop adding nitrogen fertilizer if you are doing so. Nitrogen encourages more and more stem and leaf growth, but tends to discourage fruiting.

kylie77

Your garden looks great, and I'm sure it's grown tons since those last pics! I have to post some new pics of mine!

I have 4 cherry tomato plants, (3 in the overgrown garden, and one in a container), 4 brandywine tomato plants (same as the cherry ones), one roma plant in a container, one early cascade, one juliett hybrid, and one beefsteak. Wow, seems like a lot eh! You'd never guess I had very very limited space to work with, especially if you knew all the other stuff I have growing! But the stuff in the ground is obviously far too close together. I'll have to cut back next year. We won't need all the tomatoes we'll be getting from the plants I'm sure. Can't wait to taste them!

kylie77

The tomato cage idea is a great one, although too late for this year. I couldn't get another cage around the plants now. I will obviously do things differently next year. I will also need to use proper steaks next year too. The bamboo sticks I have sure aren't good enough.

kylie77

Thanks. I will start pinching the tips. Right now all the tops are covered in blossoms so I don't want to pinch them yet!

I haven't fertalized much really, but have added coffee grounds regularely (just what we have used for our own coffee). I have stopped it now since I thought maybe that was why they're going to mad! Although there are a ton of tomatoes on them and LOTS of blooms. I need to get some fertalizer ASAP but will watch the nitrogen content.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”