hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Juliet - workhorse tomato

Here is a photo showing why I consider Juliet to be such a workhorse which always deserves a spot in my garden. The past two or three weeks has been brutal on my tomato plants. The vines have gone from lush green with rapid growth, to diseased, many dying, looking whithered and spent. But Juliet just shakes that off and keeps right on setting new fruit and extending the season.

Notice the continued fruit set, in spite of hot, humid days and generally extreme conditions.
[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3479/3732221704_18b9bfdf11.jpg[/img]

kylie77

That's so interesting. I have one juliett hybrid tomato plant that is LOADED with tomatoes. There is something wrong with the plant and has been for ages. The leaves are growing small and twisted. I think it's a virus of some sort? I posted on here but didn't get any replies to what it could be. I have let it be and am just watching to see what happens. Even with the problems the plant has it is still producing a ton of tomatoes. Only one has been ripe so far (another will be ready tomorrow!), and we ate that yesterday. It tasted absolutely lovely too! TONS of flavour really yummy! I was worried the tomatoes would taste funny since the plant is growing so weird, but nope! And there are constantly new tomatoes starting to grow too!

So maybe this is just a very strong plant then? Your plant looks great!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Juliet is absolutely the most reliable plant that we grow each year, giving many, many pounds of tasty fruit over a very long season. The plants just seem to shake off disease and keep growing and producing at the top of the plant. Personally, I like the larger salad tomatoes and some of the slicers a little better, but none are as reliable as Juliet, and of course their is always a need for some smaller salad tomatoes, even when the other larger fruits are producing.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”