mlcjimbo
Newly Registered

ALOT!!! of White flies on Tomatoes

I am over run with white flies in my garden. They have left little white eggs/ don't know all over the back of the leaves. I have applied Sevin but no help. It seems to be snowing when I grab a tomatoe. :(

Does anyone have any suggestions out there?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Haven't had that problem, but what I have seen mentioned is soapy water spray (be sure it is soap, not detergent, that can harm or even kill your plants), garlic oil spray, Neem oil, vacuuming them off your plants, and worm castings placed on the ground around the plant. You can also just squish them. There are parasitic wasps that attack them and they are preyed on by lacewings and ladybugs.

techlawgardener

Hi there,

I have some white flies and some aphids, so I bought 1500 ladybugs ($7.99 impulse-buy bugs on the counter as I exited my local nursery) and released them yesterday evening after wetting down the ground.

This AM they had collected on many of the squash leaves with the biggest bug infestations, so I'm hopeful they are going to do the same with the tomato plants as soon as they figure out where the real bug supply is located.

I'll try to remember to report back on how the experiment goes.

SP8
Green Thumb

All-round Insecticide: Chop four large onions, two cloves of garlic, and four hot chillies. Mix them together and cover with warm, soapy water and leave it to stand overnight. Strain off that liquid and add it to five litres of water to create an all-round insecticide.

techlawgardener

techlawgardener wrote:
I'll try to remember to report back on how the experiment goes.
End result: Most of 'em had flown away in a couple of days. A few remain. The aphid population is mainly reduced although a few plants seem to have been missed. Overall, I can't complain -- much better than before.

Shayle
Newly Registered

Maybe a little late for this year, but I had that problem a few years ago, and I started planting a ring of carrots around the tomatoes. Haven't had white flies since then.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”