sandysgarden
Newly Registered

Question on Tomatillo Tomatoes

I am new to growing Tomatillo plants. I have 2 of them that seem to be doing extremely well. Each plant is about 4 ft tall and about 4 ft wide and has around 100 tomatoes on each plant and still blooming. My question is I want to use these in salsa as I have heard they are good in it. What part of this tomatillo do I use? All of it , the insides or the outer layer thick skin of the tomatillo itself? (not the husk) It seems very dry from the one I just picked just to see how they were developing inside the husk sack. Do they have to turn a different color other than green and why are they so sticky feeling leaving a film like sticky glue behind on your hands . Sorry so many questions but I'm lost as how to harvest and cook these. Thanks in Advance.[/b]

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

all that is normal - the stickiness, the dryness of the fruit. you can use the whole thing (besides the husk), picked when the tomatillos are big enough to split the husk (or almost there). you may want to mix with something wetter for salsa (like a regular tomato).

sandysgarden
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for the info. I was planning on putting some of them in my regular red tomato salsa and also wanting to make green sauce also. I remembered my neice is dating a latino guy and I contacted her to ask him about them too. He said he wants some of mine. He is going to show me how to make green sauce the way they make it in Mexico. Cant wait! Thanks so much for your help cause I was really at odds on when to harvest these and how to use them. Especially after I read on one website about them that part of the plant was toxic and I wanted to find out more about them before I put them in anything I canned.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”