Chris C

Tomato Stakes

I'm a first time gardener. Put in some tomato plants...........way late, but they are growing well. Just realized today I need cages or stakes........neither of which are available any longer at the stores. Can someone please post some pictures of homemade cages or stakes. Thanks.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This thread should tell you most anything you wish to know about supporting tomato plants.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7829

Chris C

Thanks, Alex. Answers my questions.

pepper4
Green Thumb

I used pvc pipe and old broom handles as stakes. Good luck on your mators :D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Lowes and Home Depot always have "real" tomato stakes. 8 foot wooden 2"x2s", metal electrical conduit pipe (10 ft but can be cut to length, concrete reinforcement rods, and T- posts. These work better than the metal or bamboo sticks they sell in the garden center, which are made to be easy for the gardener to stick in the ground, but not necessarily good to hold up the plants.

Chris C

Thanks all. I'm going with concrete reinforcement wire and will make some.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You won't be sorry. They work extremely well, just make sure you give them good support with a t-post, stretched wire or other firm support. My oldest baskets which are still in use are well over ten years old and should be good for at least another ten years.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”