beccasgarden
Newly Registered

Elongated fruit and shrivelled leaves: water or disease?

I have a yellow pear variety that seemed to be thriving but suddenly went belly up. I notice the green fruit started out round but now looks like a cucumber or green bean. Many leaves are yellow, the others look like a drought hit them. I thought it needed more water, but found it was almost standing in water for some reason. I drained off the excess and the next day the plant looked ten times worse. Added more water and it perked up again, but it's not getting better and I am mystified. It's been sprayed with a neem oil and water solution for bugs but I don't see any signs of disease, just leaves dying from the branch up.

If it helps, it was planted in a plastic container, in a Miracle Grow potting soil mix for veggies augmented with several handfuls of mushroom compost and has been fetilized lightly twice since then--it's about 2 months since planting. My other cherry tomato plant had the same treatment, soil, location, and container and is thriving merrily, even though a storm broke it almost in half (and the stem that is hanging on to its parent by a quarter has thus far produced a ton of lovely fruit--go figure)

Please help. I love this little guy and want it to get well again.

snowleopard394

Do you think you could post a picture?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yellow pear loves to die from diseases, but not the diseases you can spray for. I rarely get one to make it through the whole season, and in general I don't have serious disease problems with my tomatoes.

Other problems could be herbicide drift (causes malformed new parts) or water logging (kills roots and causes the plant to drop leaves).

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I have 6 yellow pair plants, and they all look like junk, all the leaves are curling inward, but they are all producing tomatoes, so that is a good sign. I didn't realize they were so susceptible to disease. All of my other tomato plants look pretty good, it's just the yellow pair that look kind of terrible.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”