filmnet

Too Much rain in June!!!

Only 5 days with full sun over June, now 1 week of rain. On and off, but very dark all day. I have brought tomato plants in pots inside today. And covered others outside with a tarp. When is enough rain or not enough sun/heat? 55 degrees at night to 65 days only, when no sun. Coast of Massachusetts

applestar
Mod

How big are your plants? 55 at night is OK for tomatoes... but WOW that was my April weather! Wall-o-waters really worked for me back then. Other plants in the ground -- maybe you could put up some supports and fence them in a clear plastic (no overhead cover. don't let the leaves touch the plastic.) -- that should bring up the immediate temp around the plants by 5 degrees or more.

filmnet

They are 15 inches to 30, grown from seeds 65 days ago. can I leave some in side, no heat inside this time of year. Until sun comes out, I am growing a few pots on a upstairs porch never touching the ground, 2 topsturvys, a few 5 gal pots on the lawn, and 7 plants in the ground. I refuse to loose any plants, so iam trying to grow the same few types in 4 different places here. even the pots have wonderful black compost/manure only, no dirt from the ground. Iam trying everything here very short growing season in Ma on the coast, sea breezes till June.

GardenerGirl

I'm right there with you, filmnet. :( This June weather has been lethal to a lot of my plants: my bell peppers all drowned, and my tomatoes are yellowing and washed out. On the coast where you are, I imagine it's even worse than it has been 40-50 miles inland.

They keep promising the rain will stop and we'll start getting sun, but thus far it's all just empty promises. With my container veggies, I'm just being hyper-diligent: move them in the sun when it stops raining, and drag them back under a roof when the rain starts. Even with all the drainage I could pre-arrange, a couple of my pots wound up with standing water after the 5 inches of rain in two days we got in mid-June.

I think with the in-ground plants, we just have to cross our fingers and hope really hard: my garden beds have been squishing for 2 weeks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”