holmancentral

2 different tomato issues...same garden

I have some cherry tomatoes that were really looking good. However, this evening, I noticed that one of the plants the leaves are turning brown around the edges and then some of them are dying. they are browning from the tips inward. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Also, I have a better boy. I noticed all the leaves are curled inward. Like another post I read...we have had extreme heat. How much should I water them when it is running 100-105 degrees. I have tried to water them every 2-3 days. We do have cooler evenings so there is quite a bit of dew in the am. Could the curling be watering too much? Amy I too late to fix it? Or, any other suggestions? Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I can't tell where you live, but in 100-105 deg. heat, tomatoes and other veggies may 1) need to be watered up to twice a day, 2) require shade (shadecloth?) in the middle of the day, and/or 3) simply go into stasis when the temps are too high for the plant to continue developing fruit.

The leaf problems are most likely related to insufficient water.

Are the tomatoes in the ground or in raised/sunken beds? This may also affect how much water they require.

If you're in a high-humidity area vs. a low-humidity one, plant pests and diseases are different. Please help us give you better information by giving us an idea of where you live: central Texas? western North Carolina? southern North Dakota? etc.

Best wishes for the plants.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

holmancentral

Hi Cynthia,
I am pretty new to the gardening scene, but have really enjoyed it.

We are living in Central Oklahoma about an hour north of Oklahoma City. It has only been above 100 for the last several days. We finally had a "cold snap" and have stayed below 100 (around 95) for the last 3 days. We are supposed to be at 103 tomorrow and then back to normal.

My garden in in the ground. If it is pests, any ideas what to look for?

My cherry tomatoes are really covered with tomatoes except the one that is turning brown. I also noticed that the one on the north side of it is also showing early signs of brown edges on the leaves.

I noticed that a couple of my Bell peppers also look like they have blossom end rot if that is possible with bells?? They are all located in the same general area of the garden.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”