kellyr127
Newly Registered

tomato growth stunted

I am a new gardener this year. Can you answer some questions I have? When I seeded, I planted a few seeds in each spot. Was I only supposed to plant one seed? I have 2 stems coming from each plant site. For the most part, my plants look healthy a they have grown to about 3 feet. They bloom pretty little flowers, and then they die and fall off. I have no tomatos yet. I planted 4/9. Shouldn't I have some maters by now?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I usually plant two seeds per pot, and then remove the weaker seedling, allowing the stronger one to mature.

Your blossoms may be falling off simply because they aren't being pollinated. Do you see bee activity on your plants? If there aren't enough bees, you can help the pollination by gently shaking the tomato plants. (I usually just tap the flowering stems with one of my fingers a few times, each time I visit the plants.)

Tomato plants also sometimes drop blossoms in reaction to stress, which can be things like too high or too low of temperatures. Here's a link to a past thread that discusses blossom drop:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14372

myron26155

kellyr127 wrote:I am a new gardener this year. Can you answer some questions I have? When I seeded, I planted a few seeds in each spot. Was I only supposed to plant one seed? I have 2 stems coming from each plant site. For the most part, my plants look healthy a they have grown to about 3 feet. They bloom pretty little flowers, and then they die and fall off. I have no tomatos yet. I planted 4/9. Shouldn't I have some maters by now?
It may be the heat. I' ve grown for the past 5 years in containers with varying success but I have to say this year has been the most challenging.

I live in Orlando and the high temps and humidity have been brutal on my plants. Almost all of the blossoms drop off. Even the cherry tomatoes are struggling to produce this year.
From what I've read temps in the low 90's will cause the pollen to clump,making it less mobile. The heat can also kill the pollen.

I've tried everything but bringing the plants inside and nothing has worked.

Decado
Green Thumb

I noticed I had some tomato plants I waited too long to plant now they don't grow at all, but they still get tomatoes. Not exactly the same problem but maybe you also left them in their first containers too long?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”