avantinow
Newly Registered

Hi from lovely Oxnard, CA

Hi. I don't know where to 'introduce' myself, so I'll do it here. I live in Oxnard, CA and have planted numerous successful vegetable gardens. My tomatoes have been so prolific that I can't give enough of them away to neighbors and friends before they tire of the crop. (I can't help myself - I plant 6-8 plants of various varieties and they never fail) This year I'm a bit slow in getting my crop in because I moved on June 1. All 8 of my tomato plants are in containers (which I dislike greatly, since we live on a little over 1/4 acre in the city!) and white flies are having a field day. They've blackened 4 of my plants so far and I just read about using 'deem oil' that I'll search out today. Will the local Green Thumb Nursery know about this? Can I actually keep the blackened plants alive with this oil or must I start with new plants? Seems that they little devils are early this year and I've never had them attack my vegetable garden in the past. It's a 12x14' garden needing fencing and soil correction. ALSO, will my container tomatoes survive a transplant to the garden or must I leave them alone now. They've been in for 2 weeks. Thanks anyone in SOCAL or knowledgeable about these things!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Just a quick "drive by" response:

For gardening info in California and other western states & provinces: Sunset Western Garden Book. Look esp. at their climate zone system.

You're looking for Neem Oil. The neem tree is native to India. Use Search on this forum to find other discussions re. use of neem oil.

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

perennialgardener

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener!

You'll probably get some great answers if you post your question to the Tomato forum here (instead of the welcome forum) - there are lots of experts who can answer all your tomato questions there.

I hope you are able to get those whiteflies under control! Best of luck.

Tinybu88les8

Hello! I'm from Thousand Oaks area. Youre in a great location! Oxnard is known for their produce...not like you didnt already know that! lol Greetings!

Tinybu88les8

Hello! I'm from Thousand Oaks area. Youre in a great location! Oxnard is known for their produce...not like you didnt already know that! lol Greetings!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”