tibobyt
Newly Registered

Leaves Curled Up

I have no idea why the leaves on several of my tomato plants are curling around so that the bottom side of each leaf is facing outward. The plants don't look well. Any ideas what's going on?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Its very common. I always have some plants do it early in the season, especially when the soil gets saturated from heavy rains. Someone said it is from too much nitrogen, but that is not an issue in my case.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Its very common. I always have some plants do it early in the season, especially when the soil gets saturated from heavy rains. Someone said it is from too much nitrogen, but that is not an issue in my case.
I agree, it is most likely from wet saturated soil. A couple of mine have curled as well.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It has been very hot for the past 2 weeks curled leaves is something plants do when it is very hot. I think it reduces the amount of sun that makes contact with the leaves.

My corn and tomatoes leaves are curled. If I water my plants about 2 hours before sun down the leaves all uncurl and it all looks normal before dark. Leaves look fine the next morning too but by 3 pm when the temperature is 98 degrees again the leaves are all curled up again.

When I water my garden I do as mother nature does, even showers. I water my plants like rain with the garden hose it cools the plants after a hot day in the sun and the ground soaks up all that water.

Too much nitrogen can make the leaves curl up too.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah that's true, too much sun will cause them to curl, and also colder nights, I believe.

applestar
Mod

Here's a link to another thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15910&highlight=

I'm pretty convinced it's just something some varieties do more than others. If it's excess Nitrogen, *I* didn't put it there. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”