filmnet

strange plants from seeds

I grew 2 types of tomato's seed this year, 1 was Ferry-Morse Supersweet 100 VF, hybrid,and the 2nd was Burpee Big mama Hybrid, I got the plants mixed up early. So I raised them all, I have some plants which have huge bottom leafs only, and small 8 inch high. The pictures show 3 different plants, they are 6 weeks old, I have 6 in dirt, and 6 in pots. They look different, will not grow up now? 1 shot, did grow up but looked like no tomato plant I have seen, what should I do with this?
[img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/17.jpg[/img] [img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/16.jpg[/img] [img]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/filmnet1/14.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Fixed your image code lines -- always remember to put a <space> between consecutive image codes. Otherwise, the photos get lined up across the screen and the text will go on forever, needing everyone to scroll sideways to read your post. :roll:

BTW - they all look like tomato plants to me. You can either plant them in the ground or in large pots (at least 5 gal, I think, though I haven't grown them in containers before myself).

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have seven tomato plants in containers, each one in its very own 5-gallon container. I tried some new varieties last year, but only got actual eat-able tomatoes off of three plants. So, back to the Old Faithfuls this year in all seven pots, plus a couple of tomato plants in each raised bed.

You're a true gardener, filmnet! "So I raised them all"! Yep, all of us seem to like the experimental nature of plant-growing: "Hmm. Wonder what will happen to *this* one?" or "Wonder what will happen if I do *this*?"

Hope all goes well with the tomatoes.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Peterjay

I grew both Sweet 100 and Big Mama last year along with several other varieties and I also noticed that the leaves on the Big Mamas were unlike anything else in the garden. My experience with "Roma" type paste tomatoes is very limited, so I was wondering what the deal was also. I was expecting them to keel over any day, but the plants remained healthy and were very good producers - I guess they're just different in appearance.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I have 1 yellow pair, 1 beefsteak, and 2 cherry in 5 Gal containers, on my deck, and they are doing very well. I would go with a 5 gal container, if you want them to produce about the same as the ones in the ground. I have 25 plants in a raised bed, and they are not doing as well as the one in the 5 gal pot, go figure.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”