TexasTomatoes
Newly Registered

Is my container large enough for better boys?

as the title reads...

[img]https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l275/BigRhett/A-Photo6-20-09.jpg[/img]

TexasTomatoes
Newly Registered

I used containers because the ground here is very hard and clay like....

another question, would it be ill-advised to transplant these better boy tomatoe plants into bigger containers after fruit has started to develope? the biggest mato is about golf ball size now...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Better to transplant them NOW than to wait. Their root systems will be constrained (if they aren't already) by the walls of those planters.

There's no shame in using containers when the soil is unsuitable, or for any other reason. Many gardeners must grow their veggies on patios and/or decks, and containers come to the rescue. I'd say a quarter to a third of my own veggies are in containers due to the large size of my driveway and the small size of my available soil area.

If you can, transport one of the tomato plants--container and all--to a local garden-supply store and purchase two containers of the size recommended for best growth. I hesitate to recommend a specific size, because I can't tell exactly what you're using right now.

Best wishes for lots of yummy tomatoes! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

pepper4
Green Thumb

Texas tomatoes, I have better boys growing in containers and from the looks of it your pots they are too small for them. Mine are about 4 foot tall now. I went to the local nursery and bought 2 of their recycled containers they use for trees. Fairly large and I believe they were like 75cents each. I made sure I cleaned them well though before using. Don't want to gaurantee it but I transplanted mine very carfully with fruit on it without causing any harm.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely too small and better now than later re transplanting, even if you lose the baby tomatoes that are on it now.

myron26155

Hello, the containers are way to small. I agree with the previous posts about transplanting them into larger containers now before the roots become bound up.

Also if the plants grow and a summer storm comes along they will end up on the ground and any tomatoes will most likely fall. I learned this lesson the hard way.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Myron,

I checked your journal/photos. That is amazing. I will be really curious to know how a tomato tastes growing in that medium. I would think similar to one of the hydroponic grocery store tomatoes. I've never been sure why the grocery store tomatoes are so tasteless. Is it because they choose a vareity to grow that grows consistenty, produces equal size tomatoes, stores well, and ships well without regard to taste? I thought it was because of the medium they grow in, but I just don't know.

Ted

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote: I've never been sure why the grocery store tomatoes are so tasteless. Is it because they choose a variety to grow that grows consistenty, produces equal size tomatoes, stores well, and ships well without regard to taste? Ted
YES... as well as pick them very green and let them ripen while being shipped. And probably growing them in some medium that doesn't have much nutrient other than the synthetic NPK and probably growing them in greenhouses with only filtered sun. I keep hearing that they are working on developing a square tomato to pack better for shipping, but I fortunately haven't seen such yet.

Haesuse

rainbowgardener wrote:
tedln wrote: I've never been sure why the grocery store tomatoes are so tasteless. Is it because they choose a variety to grow that grows consistenty, produces equal size tomatoes, stores well, and ships well without regard to taste? Ted
YES... as well as pick them very green and let them ripen while being shipped. And probably growing them in some medium that doesn't have much nutrient other than the synthetic NPK and probably growing them in greenhouses with only filtered sun. I keep hearing that they are working on developing a square tomato to pack better for shipping, but I fortunately haven't seen such yet.

... AND ... they use sprays to make them ripen at the same time ... AND ... complete and total lack of good ole TLC ...

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”