amatuergardener
Newly Registered

blossom end rot

Can you add the milk and water solution directly to the soil or will hurt the plant. I was wondering because I lost three yellow tomatoes to blossom end rot. Is there something besides epsom salt for magnesium.

myron26155

I'm not sure about how you would apply milk, I imagine it would smell a bit after a while. I have heard of people using dry powdered milk and mixing it in the top layer of soil.

A better solution may be Tums, which is almost pure calcium carbonate or you could try a product called CalMag plus. It is in liquid form and that's what I use on my hydroponic tomatoes.

pepper4
Green Thumb

I noticed some blossom end rot on my mator plants. I don't know if it will hurt them to just put it in the soil but I have been spraying mine once a week with the 1/10 mixture one being mik and they seem to be doing good. The mators that were showing signs of blossom rot I removed and am only hoping for the best for my remaining fruit.

myron26155

pepper4 wrote: The mators that were showing signs of blossom rot I removed and am only hoping for the best for my remaining fruit.
I feel your pain, my Giant Goliath actually had a "giant" on her about 2 weeks ago but ended up with BER and I had to discard it. Since then I have been using CalMag plus and the new ones aren't showing any signs, yet...

RickNC

I noticed this on one of my heirloom plants. My five other plants don't have it.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”