Ana

Yellow pear

I bought 3 yellow pear plants (at list that is the tag) and the first one is more roundish that pear-shaped, its also getting yellow already, is it ok? I also wanted to know when is it good to pick them up?

Thanks for your help,

Ana

Brandywinegirl

Oh yeah! That's great! They are so yummy - you will truly enjoy them.
:D

Brandywinegirl

Ana,
BTW, when they turn completely yellow, pick them. Don't keep them on the vine too long - they may start to split.
They are my favorite of the tiny tomatoes.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If they are round they are not yellow pear. Yellow pear is just about the most pear shaped of the pear shaped tomatoes (long fruit with very thin neck region).

I would let the first fruit on the mystery plant get as ripe as possible before picking so that you know what the final color will be. I say this because I have a variety that turns from green to yellow/orange to red and I would not want to pick it as it was turning from green to yellow. But in general you can pick tomatoes once they start to turn from green to their final color (look half ripe), and then let them finish ripening inside. Doing this will not affect flavor.

elevenplants

I pulled the first of my ripe yellow pears just the other day. Here's a pic of how they should look:

[img]https://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww13/elevenpictures/photo-51.jpg[/img]

Rebecca

Ana

ok ill go check them later tday. thx rebecca the picture is helpful

elevenplants

You are very welcome, Ana. Good luck.

Rebecca

Ana

I went to pick it up and I think they are yellow cherry not yellow pear :S I got scammed, but it had a really nice flavor :D

Brandywinegirl

Glad they are yummy. If you feel like trying something new, next year try planting the Yellow Pear from seed. You will end up with a big bushy plant with loads of pear shaped sweet tomatoes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”