Haesuse

first tomatoes off a plant.... MISERABLE flavor...

okay, so I just harvested my first tomatoes off of my husky cherry red tomato plant. it has been a prize plant, growing at insane rates, with TONS of clusters, no disease, no problems whatsoever.

well, the tomatoes were, without a doubt, the worst tomatoes I have ever tasted. mealy, grainy, earthy. very little sweet, and not much acidic taste. just nasty, dirty, earthy, mealy, chewy, AWFUL.

taste and texture both infinitely worse than mass produced store bought tomatoes...

what, in the name of all that's good, is going on????

this cluster of fruit on the plant was the very lowest, and sat on the plant for a long time before it ripened. Could this be it? are "first fruit" usually miserable?

this is my first year doing edibles, so, I really have no clue. last time I did any veggie gardening, I was a little kid, and didn't even LIKE tomatoes or peppers, just liked growing stuff, so I'm really clueless.

HELP!!

Haesuse

oh, btw...

I've fertilized every other week with miracle grow tomato fert, and amended the soil with blood and bone meal, once each. there is also some mushroom compost in the soil.

anything?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I'm not familiar with that variety, but I never take much stock in the flavor of first tomatoes (or end of season fruit). The weather is generally not optimal while they are developing, and the plant is too busy growing. It is the same reason you see blossom end rot on early season tomatoes.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”