noodles777

Bumps on branches of Mr Stripey

Previously my bellpeppers had gotten some similar looking bumps and I was told it was from splashing the water and dirt (I forget he name of the disease) I had to put down 2 of my bell pepper plants :cry: so now I am so SO very careful I never splash when I water I just set the hose down near the plants. Could this be something else?
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0715.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Tomatoes put down adventitious roots wherever it's in contact with soil or even higher moisture level. You'll see bumps form like that if the weather has been unusually humid/wet, the branch had been smothered in grass, for example, or in constant contact with anything wet -- such as along a tomato fence/cage that collects dew and drips to pool in the same area. With sufficient moisture, the bumps will develop into roots. Then again, constant rubbing against another branch or on a fence can cause callouses to form as well.

I can't focus enough on the bumps just in case -- If the conditions I described doesn't apply, then they could be scale insects. As a test, see if they can be rubbed off. :wink:

noodles777

its not very wet or humid but it was very VERy close to another tomato plant on that side and that is where I notice the bumps most. They can't really be rubbed off. I don't notice the bumps anywhere else except that side where it was pushed up aganst the other plant, so hopefully that is it, not a disease of any sort. Thank you!

applestar
Mod

This duplicate thread was originally posted in the Vegetable Gardening forum. I've moved it to the Tomato Forum, but I'm locking it so the discussion added to the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78872]2nd thread[/url] can continue.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”