noodles777

bumps on branches of Mr Stripey

Previously my bellpeppers had gotten some similar bumps and I was told it was from splashing the water and dirt (I forget he name of the disease) I had to put down 2 of my bell pepper plants :cry: and now I am so SO very careful I never splash when I water I just set the hose down near the plants. Could this be something else?
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0715.jpg[/img]

pd

I would say there are two possible physiological disorders here neither of them harmful to the plant if watering is corrected. One is oedema where the cells are trying to get rid of excess water. The other is the production of rudimentary roots to compensate for saturation of the main root system. If the symptoms are not also on the leaf main vein I would suspect the latter. Tomato plants will under good management also produce root initiation at the very base of the stem and it is only when this occurs well above ground level that over watering is suspected. This condition is more prevalent in a moisture laden atmosphere.

noodles777

ok thanks, any suggestions on my care taking?. . .I water it about every 3 days but I water it for a while about 5 mins or more I would guess. I was told to water "deeply" but not often. But recently the under leaves are starting to yellow but not get crispy so doesn't that usually mean I'm over watering? and some of the top leaves (they are green and otherwise healthy looking) are curling a little, looks sort of wilted but only in random spots. Its a huge plant it is growing like crazy but I still seem to not be doing something right. Also the tomatoes on it seemed to have just stopped. They've been on the branches green and havent seemed to get any bigger or change color at all for the last few weeks (but the weather has been funky, overcast mostly for at least a week or 2 then random sunshine) What am I doin wrong? or could it be also because of the weird weather?

pd

I can't see that you are doing anything wrong. It is quite natural for the growing tips of a healthy tomato plant to appear curled; also, quite natural for basal leaves to harden, and develop brown/yellow areas. This need not indicate a disease. Without seeing the plant and its growing environment it's impossible to comment on your watering regime. Sorry I can't be of more help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You have it right about watering deeply and less often. But 5 minutes sounds like a long time unless your hose is on mist. The answer as always is it depends. Depends on your kind of soil, etc. But it is possible you are over watering. Has the top layer of the soil started to dry out by the time you are coming back to water again? (it should) Aren't you getting any rain? You can't really water on a schedule, because "it depends" on the weather too. I have hardly watered my tomatoes at all this year, because we've had so much rain.

noodles777

Yeah I wait till the dirt is dried I usually dig in the dirt a little to see if is dry on the top. The water pretty much just trickles for 5 mins or so, but I'll cut back a little see how it goes. We havent gotten any rain, we desperately needed it a few months ago. Its been gloomy that last 2 almost 3 weeks or so, so no sunshine but no rain at all. Poor Mr. Stripey just doesn't seem as happy/perky as he was before

messdhb
Newly Registered

noodles777 wrote:Yeah I wait till the dirt is dried I usually dig in the dirt a little to see if is dry on the top. The water pretty much just trickles for 5 mins or so, but I'll cut back a little see how it goes. We havent gotten any rain, we desperately needed it a few months ago. Its been gloomy that last 2 almost 3 weeks or so, so no sunshine but no rain at all. Poor Mr. Stripey just doesn't seem as happy/perky as he was before

I cut back all the yellow branches no need for them if they aren't working right lol. I have learned with my tomatoes that I cut off the first branches because new suckers grow and the tomatoes come from the second branches. I cut back most of my first branches and four days later the little suckers that come out between the first branches and the main vine grew an inch.

noodles777

I didn't cut back on the water cuz it got pretty hot out. But he looks horrible now, all his leaves are curled and he just looks like he's gonna die :( Even in the evening when the suns not out he looks wilted. I don't get it he was so happy, I had trimmed him about 3 weeks ago and he was ok after that but now I really don't think he's gonna make it :cry:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”