James282
Cool Member

Too much rain

Hey all, here in NJ we have gotten rain nearly every day for a week, with forecasts of rain for the next week at least! I have 5 tomato plants that are from 4-6 feet tall(no mature fruit,some small ones) and 2 that are only about a foot tall(2nd crop after lettuce went to seed). I was wondering if any of these plants are at risk with all the rain, and what steps I could take to prevent this week's rain from really wreaking havoc. So far, no plants have shown any bad attitudes towards the rain, but I worry that another week of rain might set them over the edge! I also have a bunch of peppers, eggplant, zucchini, celery, and okra, in case any of that stuff would need measures taken to prevent harm.

Thanks!

James

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

If you have tomato cages you could cover the whole tomato plot with a tarp? We've been getting a lot of rain and weather that has been in the 60's for all of June so far. I think so far in June we have seen 3 maybe 4 suny days. We need some sunshine down here as well...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Unless the tomatoes are in containers, tarp wouldn't really help--the problem is mostly the water in the soil, and roots staying waterlogged. Another problem people are having with so much rain (lots of parts of the country have been having very cool, wet springs, here too) is it makes prime conditions for fungal infections. That does have to do with water on the leaves, but the tarp making it dark and no air circulation would make that worse, not better. (Maybe it was a joke about the tarp and I just missed the humor --I can be a little humor challenged some times).

Anyway not too much you can do but try to make sure your soil is very well drained. If you see any water standing around, you can stir the soil around a little to help it soak in (being careful not to disturb your tomato roots) and maybe add in some more organic material or even a little vermiculite to help it stay lightened up and well draining.

What's the opposite of a rain dance -- did they ever used to do sun dances? That's what we all need to be doing.

James282
Cool Member

Thankfully they are all in raised beds with excellent drainage. No water buildup at all even in the rainiest of days. I guess I will just try and wait it out...I read somewhere else here today that only fully mature plants with ripe fruit are at the most severe risk. My plants seem to still be growing. Who knows, maybe they are appreciating the extra water!

I am going to go try and improve my sun-dance.

James

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”