BabyGartner

Transplanting Tomatoes...

I have started my tomatoes from seeds and transplanted them to 1 gallon pots awhile ago. I decided I needed larger containers for my tomatoes so purchased some tomato bags that can hold 1-2 plants, comfortably. Normally when I transplant or plant any of my vegetables I use a mix of cheap gardening soil, miracle gro gardening soil, and organic potting soil for vegetables. It's been a good mix but this time I decided to do without the organic potting soil mix so as to save some money. I transplanted my plants on Saturday and made sure I had some egg shells and coffee grounds, a little blood meal, and then used some miracle gro tomato plant food after I did a thorough water-through and I guess I'm expecting a miracle, but nothing's changed. This may sound silly as it's only been 2 days now, but I hope I haven't hurt my tomato plant. I water every day, make sure they get their sun and they've grown very well. Already 3 feet tall (grew from seedlings!) and I put some bamboo with twine around the perimeter to act as a tomato cage to help with support. I pamper my plants and I just hope I didn't upset it by forgoing the potting soil this time around. I know gardening soil isn't recommended for potted plants but I usually use it for 2/3 of the pots soil and potting soil comprises the remaining 1/3 (trying to save cash :) Does anyone think I made a big boo boo? I still have 2 more plants to transplant and I think I'll make a mix of gardening soil, miracle gro gardening soil and organic potting soil mix... just to be safe. Any recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanks ever so much!!

annafaie
Cool Member

From what I've read in my research, tomatoes will grow in almost any soil. I've read that as long as they have sun and water they will do well. Of course nutrient rich soil is ideal but it doesn't sound like you've made any true mistakes with your tomatoes.

BabyGartner

Thank you! I'm not 100% confident that they'll do well but I think they should be fine. I have to transplant 2 more plants and I'll be using a mix of gardening soil and potting soil. We'll see... maybe they'll fare better... maybe there won't be much difference. :) Thank you!!

polydactyly

Just from my experimenting this year, I put my some of my plants in my front bed and mixed a little bit of the potting soil I had and they are growing and making fruit at a very short height. I live in Austin, and our soil is thick as clay, so if they can push through that, I think they can handle alot. Good luck!

freedhardwoods

[quote="annafaie"]From what I've read in my research, tomatoes will grow in almost any soil.quote]

I agree.

Transplanting is a shock to any plant, especially large ones. After 2 days it is just starting to recover. In a weeks time it will be growing like nothing happened. 8)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”