ggiersdorf
Newly Registered

Possible Bottom Rot issue

I have 185 tomatoes in 3 gardens . They have been very robust until the past 2 weeks. I have seen a few issues with possible early blight, which is not the real problem right now. I bought a store ph tester and I come in at about 6.5 on my ph. So I don't believe that acidic soil is the real culprit. I had been using a sprinkler system to water heavily the past month. I am now using hand spary to the roots only and have cut back on that and giving the suggested 1 inch a week as the stalks are healthy and thick and about 5 feet tall in the past 2 months. No signs of water starvation at all. In the past 2 weeks, I see yellowing bottom leaves with early blight symptoms, and bottom rot issues. I applied a light calcium chlorate solution to them anyway, because it may be that I have over watered and washed out the nutrients, or just simply overwatered. After the bottom rots out, I have noticed a bit of bugs that are small and white in color. I think this may be the after effects of the bottom rot , not the cause of it.I also see a very common small digging in issue in the bottom of each affected tomato, as if a boere dug into it, but have yet to see a single worm when I break it apart to inspect it.
Any suggestions besides what I am doing now?
I believe the gardens have plenty of nitrogen now, and possiblt even more than enough.
Thanks for input..

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've found that young tomatoes can tolerate, even thrive on lots of water. But once the plants peak in size and the growth slows, too much water can certainly be a killer. I try to let the soil surface dry between waterings, and that is in this very low water rententive sandy soil in my garden. I don't think that tomatoes in the ground should be watered more than two or three times per week, depending upon soil type.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”